Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Tech room » Help and Advice » AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT

AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT on 6th October 2013, 7:57 pm

Spark plug spike

avatar
My wideband readings are

14.7 at idle

13-14 under partial throttle

12.8 down to 11.9 at the redline under WOT

Here is a pic of my tail pipe, I am running standard ECU, standard boost, walbro fuel pump.

I suspect my wideband sensor is not reading correctly under WOT but seems ok under other conditions, I have taken it out and done the check with brake cleaner going to fully rich then to fully lean and all is ok there.

Just after some second opinions everything else seems fine no stuttering or misfires, steady idle at 900??

2 Re: AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT on 6th October 2013, 8:50 pm

GTI-R US

avatar
Management
Management
could possibly be timings out a little I would advise checking it and making sure its between 18-20 degrees btdc

I take it your using vpower and not lower octane fuel?

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

3 Re: AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT on 6th October 2013, 9:06 pm

Spark plug spike

avatar
Yes Bob timing set at 20 degrees and always been run on shell vpower

I have checked all the normal stuff TPS, dizzy, MAF, plugs, leads, injectors etc and all are fine as per the Service Manual so I think I am chasing a dodgy wideband sensor rather than anything wrong with the car it pops and bangs on gear changes and on the over run?

Here's a pic of the plugs?





Last edited by bfc10 on 6th October 2013, 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photos added)

4 Re: AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT on 6th October 2013, 9:32 pm

GTI-R US

avatar
Management
Management
plugs look spot on to me so don't think you have anything to worry about there
as you say it could possibly be sensors not reading quite right but its not really that lean anyway if its low 11s and your plug condition is backing that up

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

5 Re: AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT on 6th October 2013, 10:08 pm

Digitalfaze

avatar
web admin
web admin
got me a bit woried im sure the guy that adjusted my timing said he done it to 12 :S

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

6 Re: AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT on 6th October 2013, 10:14 pm

nomad

avatar
Admin
Admin
Can you not check it with a timing light mate ?

7 Re: AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT on 6th October 2013, 10:30 pm

Digitalfaze

avatar
web admin
web admin
i dont have one of those Sad wouldnt something happen if timing was out that much? sorry for hijacking thread lol

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

8 Re: AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT on 6th October 2013, 10:33 pm

nomad

avatar
Admin
Admin
I reckon that far out it would run like shit ...lol .... timing light are not expensive to buy and very easy to use and a good way of checking it .

9 Re: AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT on 6th October 2013, 10:36 pm

Digitalfaze

avatar
web admin
web admin
yeah think ill grab one car runs great so maybe i got it wrong

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

10 Re: AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT on 6th October 2013, 10:40 pm

nomad

avatar
Admin
Admin
Yeah mate it connects to the battery and a lead clips on the no1 spark plug lead  so no difficult scratching your head moments lol .....

11 Re: AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT on 7th October 2013, 1:08 am

danr

avatar
Does the AEM allow re-calibrate sensor to air? I used to do this with my Innovate every now and then. ..

12 Re: AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT on 7th October 2013, 12:20 pm

r called jay


bfc10 wrote:
12.8 down to 11.9 at the redline under WOT
Your fueling is spot on?? Should be looking at somewhere between 11.8 - 12.0 WOT top end and your bang in the middle.

Some mappers map down to 11.5 which is conservative but allows a safety margin, but if you're running a wideband set-up you can see what's going on and can physically see if something goes faulty.

One thing to remember with the aem's is that you must let it warm up before starting the car (20 seconds I think) otherwise it can start to clog up and give odd readings. I've had mine for 5 years + and never had a single problem with it, and when checked against others has been spot on.

I know they are calibrated from the factory as there's something on the back for adjustment but I don't think you are meant to tamper with it after that.

Cheers, Ben.

13 Re: AEM Wideband reading lean under WOT on 7th October 2013, 8:51 pm

Spark plug spike

avatar
@GTI-R US wrote:plugs look spot on to me so don't think you have anything to worry about there
as you say it could possibly be sensors not reading quite right but its not really that lean anyway if its low 11s and your plug condition is backing that up
Cheers Bob, that puts my mind at ease.
@Digitalfaze wrote:got me a bit woried im sure the guy that adjusted my timing said he done it to 12 :S
If you look at the dizzy where it is bolted to the top bracket then if it's roughly in the middle (so you have an equal gap each side) that is around the 20 degree mark, hope that helps until you get a timing light?

@r called jay wrote:
bfc10 wrote:
12.8 down to 11.9 at the redline under WOT
Your fueling is spot on?? Should be looking at somewhere between 11.8 - 12.0 WOT top end and your bang in the middle.

Some mappers map down to 11.5 which is conservative but allows a safety margin, but if you're running a wideband set-up you can see what's going on and can physically see if something goes faulty.

One thing to remember with the aem's is that you must let it warm up before starting the car (20 seconds I think) otherwise it can start to clog up and give odd readings. I've had mine for 5 years + and never had a single problem with it, and when checked against others has been spot on.

I know they are calibrated from the factory as there's something on the back for adjustment but I don't think you are meant to tamper with it after that.

Cheers, Ben.
Thanks Ben, that's interesting to know as all the info I have read on the tinternet all say low 11's down into the 10's as perfect afrs.

I have cleaned the sensor so will ensure I warm it up before starting as well.

Cheers

Spike

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum