Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Tech room » Help and Advice » Body work advice

Body work advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Body work advice on 22nd October 2013, 6:07 pm

Bones

the two star club
the two star club
Getting my car ready for a respray and this is the worst arch others only have surface rust. Whats my best approach? I have a mig and ive cut back to good metal leavinf a whole about 3.5 inch long by half inch deep[img][/img]

2 Re: Body work advice on 22nd October 2013, 6:31 pm

BEBB GTIR

the one star club
the one star club
weld a piece underneath and then bodyfiller the topside Wink

3 Re: Body work advice on 22nd October 2013, 6:51 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Or if your anal like me i stick the plate behind draw the hole on the plate cut it 1mm less than the pen line tack it and weld all the way round bit of a grind off just to smooth off any high points .... minimal filler and looks much better although i have been welding for years ....

4 Re: Body work advice on 22nd October 2013, 7:07 pm

BEBB GTIR

the one star club
the one star club
I did do it your way leighton, with the floor in the R, but took ages haha Shocked 

5 Re: Body work advice on 22nd October 2013, 7:13 pm

Bones

the two star club
the two star club
Ive had a mig for years but used it half a dozen times lol

6 Re: Body work advice on 22nd October 2013, 7:23 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Its not that much harder that way if anything its quicker due to not having weld a bigger area even if your not that experianced but you gotta admit it looks much better than a big plate slapped to the back .

7 Re: Body work advice on 22nd October 2013, 7:24 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
What mig you got darren ?

8 Re: Body work advice on 22nd October 2013, 7:27 pm

kenny1pulsar

Get some rust eater on inside and outside of the wing first. Then some weld through primer on any bare metal. Weld plate on the back of the wing. Repair most of it with fibre glass and finish it with body filler. Best to do it like nomad said but takes some good welding skills. Don't try and seam weld it in 1 go no mater what way you do it cause it will just warp the panel and make filling it more difficult. Tack welds are better for less heat transfer. Make sure you get some decent sealer on the back of the repair to stop water getting in and rotting it again.

9 Re: Body work advice on 22nd October 2013, 9:54 pm

Bones

the two star club
the two star club
Just a clarke mig from machine mart. Im going to do a proper job and make a matching plate and just take my time

10 Re: Body work advice on 22nd October 2013, 9:59 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
As said dont burn it to hot  .... what functions do you have on it .... gas or gasless ... and amps ?

11 Re: Body work advice on 22nd October 2013, 10:21 pm

Bones

the two star club
the two star club
Its gas and just says 150te TURBO lol on the front. Has 3 power settings and a min/ max switch

12 Re: Body work advice on 22nd October 2013, 10:52 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Yeah they are not bad machines them .....im looking to replace my trusty old sip  so if you wanna get rid of it after then give me a shout Wink   its a 150amp machine ....have a little bit of practice on a spare bit of plate your going to use start off  with lower amperage  start at around 30amps as when welding on the pulsar you dont want to much heat or your warp the panel or blow holes in it

13 Re: Body work advice on 23rd October 2013, 8:00 pm

Bones

the two star club
the two star club
This is my second one, funny story. I had one but lent it to a mate, 6 months later and my garage was broken into so as I tried to see what was missing I thought they had knicked my mig so put that on the list . Got a new one and a few weeks later my pal returned my original. I really forgot he had it so I told him to keep it. Jammy get lol

14 Re: Body work advice on 23rd October 2013, 10:47 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Lucky git ..... lucky you had insurance then ....

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum