Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » General Discusion » New forum members » How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R

How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 4:33 am

mikewazowski

Hello there fellow GTI-R owners!

The pulsar has been my dream car for a long time now and i managed to save a 1990 Pulsar from rusting away on somebody driveway. Got my car last month for £800.I used to ride my bike round that area and i saw that pulsar being stood in the same spot all the time. After i got some money i decided to go and knock at the door. After many hours of thinking and two viewings i decided to go and pick it up. It has been stood on a driveway for five years unused. What the owner said to me that it has a immobilizer problem and the clutch fork is bent.

I got the car home and after a couple of days i started working on the engine. The engine would not run at all. I drained the old fuel out, changed spark plugs, cleaned and dried all of the ignition cables because it was loosing the spark on the way. I've also put a injector cleaner into the petrol I've filled the car up with. I've turned the key and it worked. Engine runs with not major trouble apart from some slight noises from the alternator belt but nothing to worry about yet.

My next task was to get the clutch running. The pedal was all floppy and there was no pressure in the system. I've tried bleeding the clutch but no luck. I've got many receipts for the car, one of them says that the master cylinder has been changed just before the car went off the road which made me think that the master is fine. It turned out that one of the seals in the master cylinder lets air through. I did a bit of bodging and got the pump to work. Then bled the system and tried to get the car running. It turned out that the fork is actually bent.

I'm making slow progress but hopefully by April time i'll have a fully working car Smile

The body is rust free with a couple of bubbles starting to build on the bottom of the arches but ill get that done soon. Rear lamp leaks slightly but i'm getting this done soon as well, alredy got butyl rubber to seal it. I've rebuild the seats (Recaro SRD's) and also repaired a puncture in one of the wheels. Theres many things to get sorted with the paint itself but i'm not yet bothered about this.

Just a short write up, ill try to upload some pictures when i get home of how it looked the next day i picked it up and how it looks now!

Thanks!!!

LINK TO THE R REVING ON MY DRIVEWAY - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll_YTYF4erY

2 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 5:08 am

mikewazowski

link to some pictures of my R. Ones with it looking abit sad is the first day i got it which was around october 20th. The one at night in Black and white was couple of weeks ago. I've got the clitch fork to fix the car but no weather ;/ link below !

http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/mikewazowski14/media/DSC_3743_zpsc84c7417.jpg.html

3 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 6:30 am

fred05

french connection
french connection
Good job to get it Mike, and welcome aboard!

for sure you'll find the help you need here!! Wink

4 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 8:59 am

Gl3nnGTIR

welcome to the site mate Smile

5 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 9:04 am

Digitalfaze

web admin
web admin
welcome to the forum mate

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

6 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 10:20 am

toaster55

Welcome mate, good luck with it

7 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 10:53 am

Rot box revival!

Good save man! Like those seats.

8 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 12:01 pm

Scoobykilla

Welcome to the forum mate looks nice :-)

9 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 12:12 pm

Hardy172cup

the one star club
the one star club
Glad to hear you have rescued a GTIR Very Happy good luck getting her back on the road mate

10 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 2:39 pm

mikewazowski

Thanks guys! ill take some decent shots of it once i get everything cleaned up. Took most of the dashboard of recently to sort out all the cables because the previous owner never heard of soldering and all he did was tie two wires together and hope for the best.

By the way, do you know anybody on this forum who could give me advice on how to strengthen my clutch fork ? got the fork, got a welder just dont want to mess it up.

thanks!

11 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 3:53 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin

yes mate drop me a pm later and il send you some pics through how to strenghten the fork .... welcome to the forum by the way  Wink 

12 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 5:41 pm

pulsarmoley

Welcome to the site Mike, I think ive seen you somewhere before...
Ah yes...

Laughing  Good luck with the car Smile

13 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 6:54 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
You have a pm mike  Wink 

14 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 7:08 pm

Bones

the two star club
the two star club
Welcome mate. I tried to buy one sat on a drive for 5 yrs last month but he wouldnt sell so again well done

15 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 7:19 pm

toaster55

oh just noticed your clutch foot rest. not seen that one actually fitted before, but it is a nismo optonal extra. lucky bugger..... Laughing 

16 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 9:17 pm

johnny gtir

Welcome to forum did you notice his mirrors anyone ?

17 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 9:43 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
What about them i cant see them that clearly johnny ?

18 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 9:46 pm

Girl racer

Welcome to the site  Smile here is a pic of my recently strengthened clutch fork, takes about 20 minutes to do, not a difficult job to do if you can use a mig welder

19 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 11:03 pm

mikewazowski

thanks for all the replies!

@johnnygtir you on about the plastic add ons on the mirrors? dont really know the proper name. I've heard that they are really rare :)Says Nissan on there so means they're legit Smile

@girlracer, thanks for the photos!

Last edited by mikewazowski on 7th January 2014, 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total

20 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 6th January 2014, 11:18 pm

Hardy172cup

the one star club
the one star club
He is talking about the metal foot rest next to the clutch peddle, they are a very rare nismo option and sell for a lot of money.
Well done finding the car mate, sounds like you got a bargain Very Happy

21 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 7th January 2014, 9:18 am

fred05

french connection
french connection
it seems to have the illuminating ring arond the key!
- footrest
- nismo strut brace
- nismo wing deflectors
- recaro (ITR ?) seats
- Nismo Peeled steering wheel Ah AH, it worth a lot of money!!!  Laughing 

22 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 7th January 2014, 8:41 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
I reckon its a bargain with all the extras.... plus all the rest of the car if you decided to break it... not that thats your intention ...

23 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 7th January 2014, 10:26 pm

johnny gtir

Yes i was referencing them areoplane wings on the mirrors that everyone hates and slates i thought i would help him out by offering him a fiver save him all the grief lol no few goodies on this

24 Re: How i rescued a 1990 GTI-R on 8th January 2014, 2:00 pm

mikewazowski

@nomad i got it with the intention of fixing it and putting it back on the road. I don't think i'd be up for breaking it. The sheel is too healthy (to my knowledge so far) to break it. I think i would cry if i did haha

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum