Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Tech room » Help and Advice » Turbo Scavenge pump

Turbo Scavenge pump

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Turbo Scavenge pump on 28th January 2014, 12:54 pm

jambo_gtir

Just a bit of advice really for anyone that had the same problems i did...

After buying a 3071 off Bob about a year ago now and having fully rebuilt my engine, I was seeing blue smoke after overrun and coming on to full boost. For ages I carried out various tests and went through different solutions; Uprated breather system, replaced all valve stem oil seals and a new rocker cover (incase mine was blocked preventing crank case gases from escaping). I eventually came to the conclusion that it was my oil drain on the turbo...
With the 3071 the oil drain at the bottom of the turbo was only just above the return on the block and the compressor housing was right in the way. I struggled for ages with different pipes and bends to get a suficient oil drain. It was horizontal though....but i still thought it would be ok. Coupled with the fact i was running fairly large ring gaps (24 thou on top ring) i had a combination of a shit oil return and positive pressure in the crank case. I got so fed up that in the end a friend of mine told me about scavenge pumps for low mounted turbos so i got one off ebay (turbowerx in the US)!!

I fitted the pump the other day and it is the best thing I have got for that car!!! It sucks the oil out the bottom (even though it's mounted above the turbo) and the difference this has made to the engine is unbelievable. I can't reccomend this enough to those who have crap oil returns..i never knew it was so important and even the slightest resistriction would cause oil to back up in the turbo. The engine sounds and feels brand new like it should and no smoke what so ever!!
The general response of the engine and smoothness is so nice now and when i floor it, it just sounds so much better.. i guess all this time it's been having to burn a bit of oil as well as fuel/air lol.
Problem solved!!  Very Happy 

2 Re: Turbo Scavenge pump on 28th January 2014, 2:11 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Any links or pics of it fitted ?.

3 Re: Turbo Scavenge pump on 28th January 2014, 2:11 pm

GTI-R US

Management
Management
great news im glad you finally got it sorted as I knew the turbo was good so was a bit confused by the troubles you were having

ive heard of those scavenger pumps before but never actually seen one fitted to any of the cars weve had in.
can you do a little write up please in the how to section and maybe post a few pics of it fitted and the cost etc as will be handy to a fair few who may have similar troubles.

ive seen poor returns to block before and it does cause a build up of oil in turbo (even with restrictor fitted) and this could well damage a good turbo by over pressurising it so very handy to know

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

4 Re: Turbo Scavenge pump on 28th January 2014, 3:03 pm

jambo_gtir

Yes ok mate I'll do a write up with photos soon. Just to add, I'm shite at fabricating bits of metal etc, so the bracket I used looks awefull haha.
I'll do it in 'How too' section then yer?

5 Re: Turbo Scavenge pump on 28th January 2014, 3:42 pm

GTI-R US

Management
Management
spot on sir  cheers 

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

6 Re: Turbo Scavenge pump on 28th January 2014, 4:04 pm

jambo_gtir

Done Bob, a bit rushed but it's all there.

7 Re: Turbo Scavenge pump on 28th January 2014, 5:16 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Just read your how to ......  thanks for doing that ..ive never heard of the pump before .... the pumps quite large i wasnt expecting that  and your bracket isnt that bad  Wink

8 Re: Turbo Scavenge pump on 28th January 2014, 5:20 pm

jambo_gtir

haha cheers mate. It was a massive bodge with a dremmel cutting disc and my drill with what ever bits of metal I could find! It is a big pump yes but well worth it I think Smile

9 Re: Turbo Scavenge pump on 28th January 2014, 5:39 pm

Gaz GTiR

My mate had to use a scavange pump on his turbo bike he built... As the turbo ws lower than the sump so obv had problems... I never heard of them till he told me. Quite a clever idea Smile

10 Re: Turbo Scavenge pump on 29th January 2014, 8:05 am

fred05

french connection
french connection
yep clever idea and good write up !! thanks mate!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum