Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Gallery » Members gti-r's » My R

My R

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 23]

101My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 23rd March 2015, 8:25 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody
Currently it's just wired on a relay and switch. The controller is still there but I haven't wired the speed signal in yet. The theory is as speed increases you are less reliant on power steering, which helps because the pump can pull a lot of amps. The haltech would be able to turn the pump off once the car reaches are certain speed for instance.

102My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 23rd March 2015, 9:00 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician
Haltech probably could control all switching to make it work, original setup on those had a steering movement sensor in steering column switches along with speed signal, think it quite easy setup using the original controller & flexibility of the Haltech should aid it considerably or completely replace controller .

103My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 23rd March 2015, 9:32 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody
Ah ok no I don't have a sensor in the steering column. I'll need to test it out, I might decide I don't even need power steering over a certain speed. Just depends how it feels.

104My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 23rd March 2015, 11:38 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician
The steering column optic sensor allowed pump off/standby when no real steering input plus level of pump assistance based on speed to amount of steering being applied. vehicle speed sensor allowed variable power assistance for vehicle speed & that should be easy to control via your ecu & resistors in pump power supply .
Main issue is keeping it feeling consistent as you may find it goes heavy at speed which ok with minimal steering but throwing  it through tight bends without additional steering movement sensor to add more pump assistance could be a problem. Going be trial & error but at least with likes of haltech you going have plenty of options tweak it about if needed.

105My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 23rd March 2015, 11:52 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody
Yeah well said that was my concern aswell, I think my best bet is to get the pump set up to operate as close to standard and go from there. The  speed input and using the original motor control should be simple. There is a difference in feel between a power steering rack (not assisted) vs a manual rack aswell so it isn't as simple as turning the pump off and everything will be perfect IMO

106My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 24th March 2015, 12:10 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician
Yeh going be bit of R&D once up & running, with haltech, original controller & even grafting in steering sensor if needed it should be quite tunable though .

107My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 24th March 2015, 1:12 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody
Thanks for the advice mate. I gotta put a list together of everything I want to wire, the ps1000 is more limited for input/ outputs aswell but I want to be able to change boost maps with a switch aswell.

108My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 24th March 2015, 3:37 am

ducie54

ducie54
I wouldn't go over complicating things with steering position sensors.  If you use the PWM (pulse width modulation) feature from the Haltech and a solid state relay you can set the pump pressures like a stock setup. Just find someone willing to find out power steering line pressure at idle to max RPM. From there you can setup a table.

At zero vehicle speed just turn it off but when speed is above zero turn pump on. Add a timer so when you go back to zero it still runs for X amount of time. This will help with parking. Not sure if the older model Haltech has the timer feature tho.

109My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 24th March 2015, 6:45 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody
Awesome info Nigel, thanks a lot. Sounds like you are pretty cluey with this type of stuff? I will investigate about the timer function. I can't wait till the ecu is in the car so I can start playing around with these types of features Smile

110My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 24th March 2015, 7:33 am

ducie54

ducie54
No worries.

If your ecu doesn't have a timer just have the pump start say 50rpm above idle.

111My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 24th March 2015, 9:25 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody
Thanks mate, I'll need to grab some tips off you when I start playing with it. Hope your R is coming along well.

112My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 24th March 2015, 5:56 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician
May work but if need better instant pump response for idle low speed steering or upped pressure when higher speed but lots of steering movement adding the steering sensor would be easy way get the trigger. Plenty of things can try though ...

113My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 24th March 2015, 10:08 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody
I think that's what Nigel is saying about finding out the power steering line pressure at idle to max RPM of the motor and then setting up a table while also factoring speed. Is this correct? When the car is moving I thought the pump operates by determining the speed of the car based on the fact the greater the speed the less the pump is required. I could be completly wrong though. 

Also I thought the steering position sensor was only used in order to increase revs of the engine to accommodate the fact the pump is working. Not necessarily to regulate the way the pump operates.

114My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 25th March 2015, 1:22 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician
Only way I seen them work well without problems is by using the original controller & steering sensor. steering sensor allows pump be off & come on as soon as steering twitches which important at idle parking & when applying lots of lock etc, it also feeds info to keep pump off when moving in straight line.
Original controller also has warnings & safety features for pump overheating & brush wear & you can add a warning light for it.
Quite easy retro fit if pull relay & steering sensor & chop all plugs with tails then make loom to suit your fitment.
Problem with most ways of controlling it without the original controller is pump on too much & overheats, adds unnecessary electrical load or improvised control/feed circuits fail too frequently as constant high amp switching takes a toll on components .

115My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 25th March 2015, 3:10 am

ducie54

ducie54
I don't understand why you want to run it like the MR2 Mr B. The Mr2 is a rear engine vehicle with a different steering rack ratio. The gtir also has a shit loads more weight over the steer wheels. Every gtir from factory has power steering line pressure while driving in a straight line, why change that. To save how much brush wear?

Using PWM output from the Haltech you don't need to run the pump a max draw all the time. IMO just simulate the factory gtir pump pressures @ a given RPM and it will work like the stock setup. From there you can play around with pressures at different situations by using a 3D map

116My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 25th March 2015, 5:08 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician
I'm more concerned with pump heat & good idle pump control over brush wear.
Idea with with factory setup is it always has line pressure but pump on minimal duty & off to reduce alternator load & elec pump heat.  The early series pumps have adjustment screw on pump which makes it easy set base pressure to you system/driver preference.
Using haltech to control pump duty could be good too, but idle control needs be better than timer or rev value alone really, a mix of haltech & steering movement senser could give great control for all points probably, adding the steering sensor would be quite simple I would of thought  ... Just bouncing ideas, thoughts & not saying what right or wrong ...

117My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 25th March 2015, 8:37 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody
I'm sure I'll work something out, it will be interesting when I start setting things up, might need Nigel to remote in and help me lol. 

The most exciting thing is I'm moving house in 2 weeks. New place has a big double garage so plenty of space to work on the car and set the workshop up Smile

118My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 25th March 2015, 8:39 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin
@gtir_woody wrote:

The most exciting thing is I'm moving house in 2 weeks. New place has a big double garage so plenty of space to work on the car and set the workshop up Smile

Jammy git!!! I would love a double garage!

119My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 25th March 2015, 8:47 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody
Yeah I'm so happy stu, I'll pretty much live in there Laughing

120My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 25th March 2015, 8:53 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin
@gtir_woody wrote:Yeah I'm so happy stu, I'll pretty much live in there Laughing
Haha i would too if i had one Smile

121My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 25th March 2015, 9:05 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician
^ lol
Big job moving house but worth it as decent garage space will be a huge blessing.

122My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 26th March 2015, 12:51 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody
Yeah hate moving, paying someone with truck to do it this time around. I'll have to pull my finger out and get a club banner for the garage now Smile

123My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 29th March 2015, 6:33 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody
Since I'm moving house I had to get car going. Just took her for quick drive around the block with no bonnet, guards or bumper Laughing the feeling of being in her on the road was amazing, even though it was short lived. Going to get me even more motivated Smile

124My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 29th March 2015, 6:46 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician
^ Motivation & your new garage will have her sorted & ripping up oz tarmac in no time :-)

125My R - Page 5 Empty Re: My R on 29th March 2015, 6:49 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody
Im probably more looking forward to working on her in the new garage at this point Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 23]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum