Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Gallery » Members gti-r's » My R

My R

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 20 of 21]

476 Re: My R on 4th January 2018, 1:19 am

gtir_woody

Thanks for the comments guys, gives me a few options to think about. Just been mocking up an example. My intercooler piping runs down where the battery was so need look at which filters will fit in. Probably go with a mushroom style filter.

477 Re: My R on 8th January 2018, 7:23 am

gtir_woody

Rather than spend extra on material i used what I had laying around. Still need to clean it up and cut a hole for the pod and make in inlet pipe. Took alot of time getting it to fit the body shape well but turned out alright. Not a huge fan of the bolts but think it looks ok and saved money on getting it welded Smile

478 Re: My R on 8th January 2018, 7:11 pm

shroom

That look great can u make me one haha

479 Re: My R on 8th January 2018, 8:51 pm

Daveymeladdy

That looks like a right arse of a job so you've done well there!

480 Re: My R on 8th January 2018, 9:01 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Is that the cooler for your illegal moonshine :-)
You doing an indicator vent or something woody
bet it was fun profiling that for cutting :-S
Dave worded it better than me ...

481 Re: My R on 8th January 2018, 10:10 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Looks pretty good job you done there woody thumbsup

482 Re: My R on 8th January 2018, 10:16 pm

gtir_woody

Thanks guys, it really isn’t hard just time consuming making sure it’s right.

B, I’m thinking about cutting another hole behind the headlight and running a Flexi pipe down to the front bumper. I’ll make some sort of mold behind the passenger side hole/vent/thing in the bumper for the pipe to connect to.

483 Re: My R on 9th January 2018, 7:00 am

astarozna

Small side note, map sensor should be horizontally (plug facing down). Someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

484 Re: My R on 21st February 2018, 8:39 am

gtir_woody

Haven’t made a lot of progress on getting the engine rebuilt but I decided to start stripping the motor down and hopefully save myself some money on the builder.

Taking the cam cover bolts off resulted in snapping 2 so I decided to buy a complete set of OEM ones. In addition I ordered some supertech valve stem seals.

I also stripped the Allen key head on one of the ARP head studs, but I’m thinking it’s a good idea to buy a complete new set along with a head gasket anyway. Good old debate if using ARP bolts is a bad idea or not, I think im going to use them again but also have a standard set coming so I can decide later. I was also thinking of using a cosworth head gasket this time around, is it correct if I order the size that matches the cylinder bore?

A couple of set backs but glad I found them now and can order the parts before taking to the engine builder.

An awesome OZ member also hooked me up with these floor mats, they actually came from the UK i think and he got the nismo logo put on them, they will look the part and cover my shitty carpet Laughing

485 Re: My R on 21st February 2018, 10:48 am

astarozna

Cosworth do 87mm gasket. If you have 86mm pistons then i wouldn't recommend but if you have 86.5 or 87 then it's fine. I believe they now make gti-r specific gasket as well.

486 Re: My R on 21st February 2018, 2:18 pm

Ryaneg6freak

@astarozna wrote:Cosworth do 87mm gasket. If you have 86mm pistons then i wouldn't recommend but if you have 86.5 or 87 then it's fine. I believe they now make gti-r specific gasket as well.

All aftermarket gaskets are 87mm or bigger, the only ones you can get in 86 or 86.5 are Nissan OEM.

I've used many a 87mm gasket on an 86mm bore with zero issues.

487 Re: My R on 21st February 2018, 2:23 pm

Ryaneg6freak

@gtir_woody wrote:Haven’t made a lot of progress on getting the engine rebuilt but I decided to start stripping the motor down and hopefully save myself some money on the builder.

Taking the cam cover bolts off resulted in snapping 2 so I decided to buy a complete set of OEM ones. In addition I ordered some supertech valve stem seals.

I also stripped the Allen key head on one of the ARP head studs, but I’m thinking it’s a good idea to buy a complete new set along with a head gasket anyway. Good old debate if using ARP bolts is a bad idea or not, I think im going to use them again but also have a standard set coming so I can decide later. I was also thinking of using a cosworth head gasket this time around, is it correct if I order the size that matches the cylinder bore?

A couple of set backs but glad I found them now and can order the parts before taking to the engine builder.

An awesome OZ member also hooked me up with these floor mats, they actually came from the UK i think and he got the nismo logo put on them, they will look the part and cover my shitty carpet Laughing

You'll never convince anyone that will listen that the ARP bolts are just fine. Mazworx uses them on an 800hp SR20 with zero issues.  It all comes down to how careful you are when assembling the engine, the proper torque specs for the head studs (100ft lbs) and having the head AND deck machined.  I don't think some people realize just how fine of a finish and how true head and deck surface needs to be to properly seal a MLS head gasket.  They're used to the old fiber style gaskets that were much more forgiving of irregularities, then blame "those shitty ARP studs" when in reality it was their own mistake during assembly. Also, I know it's a pain in the arse, but they must be re-torqued after a couple heat cycles. That alone will save you a lot of headache.

That being said, factory head bolts have been known to hold over 600hp so I don't really see why you couldn't use them.

488 Re: My R on 21st February 2018, 7:29 pm

astarozna

Cometic does 86.5mm as well.

489 Re: My R on 22nd February 2018, 2:55 am

gtir_woody

Thanks guys, thats good to know about the head gasket. Im pretty sure ill go with the ARP again but just want things done right this time Smile

490 Re: My R on 1st March 2018, 4:28 am

ducie54

If none of the head studs are stretched why replace them. Just make sure the thread holes are chased with a bottoming tap and clean, clean, clean. Follow the arp installation instructions, so use there lube not engine oil.

Make sure the RA surface of the head and block is to the head gasket manufacturers specs and is clean. You don't need to retentsion MLS head gasket. And don't use Copper spray the gasket has a coating on it.

491 Re: My R on 1st March 2018, 9:19 am

gtir_woody

@ducie54 wrote:If none of the head studs are stretched why replace them. Just make sure the thread holes are chased with a bottoming tap and clean, clean, clean. Follow the arp installation instructions, so use there lube not engine oil.

Make sure the RA surface of the head and block is to the head gasket manufacturers specs and is clean. You don't need to retentsion MLS head gasket. And don't use Copper spray the gasket has a coating on it.

Thanks for the advice buddy thumbsup

492 Re: My R on 1st March 2018, 9:36 am

gtir_woody

So after some researching and talking with some really helpful people in aus and abroad, it appears my previous builder has used 53j exhaust valves and springs. The 54c uses a 38mm installed spring height and the 53j uses a 40mm height. So obviously that has an affect on the springs, seat pressure and coil bind. Additionally the 53j valves are 1mm shorter in length. These 2 things in combination are a massive issue and have no idea how the builder even thought the shims were right. As the builder also brought the cams I dare say their profile wasn't suited for a solid head either? These things will have contributed to the significant cam lobe wear that occurred in a very short amount of time.

Anyway looking forwards I know whats wrong and have also been recommended a builder that has done heaps of R engines. So things are looking up Smile

493 Re: My R on 1st March 2018, 1:32 pm

johnny gtir

Glad you have a way forward mate

Sometimes it’s not worth it but even if it not financial any come back on previous builder even if it stops it happening to someone else

494 Re: My R on 2nd March 2018, 3:58 am

splmum

So, the builder fucked up.
Supplied wrong valves, springs and possibly cams and then incorrectly installed them.
Who is paying for this shite, not you hopefully.

495 Re: My R on 2nd March 2018, 7:53 am

gtir_woody

Unfortunately it wasn't through a shop and have no contact with the guy now. He had done heaps of 800-1000hp v8's and knew his stuff on those engines but obviously made some huge mistakes on my engine. I kept saying don't assume my engine is the same as a regular sr20 but obviously that didn't sink in and the proper checks weren't done. This is a prefect example of a lesson learnt and people should consider using non-businesses on a build. If i knew the things I know now I could have at least pointed these things out.

I just want to move forwards and get things sorted now Smile

496 Re: My R on 2nd March 2018, 8:02 am

gtir_woody

@johnny gtir wrote:Glad you have a way forward mate

Sometimes it’s not worth it but even if it not financial any come back on previous builder even if it stops it happening to someone else

I know what you mean mate, frustrates the hell out of me but the only thing I would recommend for anyone wanting to build an engine, is to use someone who is really knowledgeable in these motors and don't take chances just to save some coin.

497 Re: My R on 2nd March 2018, 10:26 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Least you know the cause which makes going forward and rebuilding easier .
Only cams I tend use in 54C head are tomei, partly as good price in asia region and partly as matched well for 54C solid lifters and they got some good lift and degree options .
You best doing as much as possible yourself or at least sorting parts or checking part spec as shocking how many engine builders cut corners or don't do proper checks .
Shouldn't cost too much and could of been much worse, least you moving forward positively and got some real good knowledge within oz R community .

498 Re: My R on 2nd March 2018, 10:26 pm

splmum

Did he also do the bottom end, if so drop the sump and check he put in the correct pistons and that you still have your oil squiters in place.

499 Re: My R on 3rd March 2018, 2:19 am

gtir_woody

The people ive spoken to in aus (they know who they are) have been awesome and super helpful, so really appreciate that.

Im going to get the block stripped down and checked to make sure thats all good. While its apart im going to replace the valve stem seals, valve guides and upgrade both inlet/ exhaust valves. When its all done Ill have pretty solid engine, its just taken me an extremely long time, money and frustration to get there. Either way its all part of the journey and Ive learnt alot Smile

500 Re: My R on 3rd March 2018, 8:58 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Glad to hear about all the support you have got..... shame about the expense but guess it's one of those live and learn situations ....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 20 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum