Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Tech room » Help and Advice » Turbo recommendations

Turbo recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Turbo recommendations on 9th October 2014, 8:00 am

paz

Hi all,

My car is currently hibernating, but before I put it in the garage I was having some problems that appeared to be turbo related - mostly blue smoke when lifting off the accelerator.

Having a brief chat with my garage they said it was likely turbo but obviously need to take a better look.

Based on that I think its worth me looking for a replacement turbo, but don't really know where to start.

The one thats on there is described as a T28 Super Hybrid Turbo, unsure of make at this point. The cars running 317bhp and I'm happy staying in that area as long as I can get a decent throttle response and the turbo comes on boost as early as possible.

Based on that what would the recommendations be and where would you suggest buying?

Cheers Very Happy

Paz

2 Re: Turbo recommendations on 9th October 2014, 8:18 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Get it rebuilt  ( http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t1214-turbo-rebuilds ) or if have some extra cash look at a GT28RS.

Worth pulling off some turbo pipes to inspect turbo a bit & see if oil in pipes.
Also worth checking oil return from turbo not damaged partially clogged.
Also worth doing engine compression test to get idea of its condition.

3 Re: Turbo recommendations on 9th October 2014, 8:27 am

gtir_woody

Someone can confirm but blue smoke when lifting off the accelerator can sometimes mean worn valve stem seals? Anyway if you are happy the power atm, are you happy with the current performance of the turbo? Why not just rebuild the current turbo and save some dollars? Smile

4 Re: Turbo recommendations on 9th October 2014, 9:02 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Could be worn/hardened valve stem seals or even worn guides.
Looking at Turbo & piping should show bit of an oily mess if that is the source.

5 Re: Turbo recommendations on 9th October 2014, 9:26 am

GTI-R US

Management
Management
@Mr B wrote:Could be worn/hardened valve stem seals or even worn guides.
Looking at Turbo & piping should show bit of an oily mess if that is the source.

he will know for sure when the turbo is removed because if there is a ring prob on one cylinder the ex port will be coated in wet oil
if stem seals you can look into the port and see where oil has dripped down valve stems onto top of valve that gives you some indication
but I would guess turbo

I personaly would get a new gt28rs great turbos with amazing spool time
not a lover of rebuilt turbos they never seem to last, especially if car s used on track, seen far too many fail prematurely

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

6 Re: Turbo recommendations on 9th October 2014, 9:56 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Hopefully turbo & if is should see signs of oil on compressor outlet & the hoses.
Never had major problems with rebuilds but it is a bit of a lottery & if can afford it new is best plus jumping to roller bearings is big plus ...

7 Re: Turbo recommendations on 9th October 2014, 9:21 pm

paz

Cheers all, will have a nosy at rebuilds and the gr28rs.

As I said garage needs to take a proper look yet but helps
If I can do some research first!

8 Re: Turbo recommendations on 9th October 2014, 9:53 pm

gtir_woody

Keep us updated Smile

9 Re: Turbo recommendations on 10th October 2014, 5:57 am

johnny gtir

I would never go roller bearing without the upgraded metal cage etc. my last rollerbearing lasted no time and the turbo was no wher near its limits melted plastic housing. How garret can make them that way is a joke but thats a different thread altogether. As above let us know how you get on

10 Re: Turbo recommendations on 10th October 2014, 9:00 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
I have Gt28RS with standard cage & it been ok.
Indeed is a crap engineering call for a turbo.
New GT28RS is probably good £900 in uk plus what ever the charge is if want upgrade bearing cage. 
Rebuild could be £200-£350 pending on condition of housings/impellers etc

11 Re: Turbo recommendations on 10th October 2014, 4:13 pm

paz

Where would you buy a gt28rs online? Any recommendations?

Ta

Paz

12 Re: Turbo recommendations on 10th October 2014, 4:30 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=78_169_305_524_525&products_id=86

http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/product/27/Garrett_GT2860RS_%27Disco_Potato%27/

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop/gt2860rs-new-genuine-garrett-ball-bearing-turbocharger-p-2621.html

13 Re: Turbo recommendations on 10th October 2014, 4:35 pm

paz

Thanks very much Smile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum