Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Tech room » Help and Advice » Fuel starvation "surge"

Fuel starvation "surge"

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Fuel starvation "surge" on 5th April 2015, 9:54 am

grim_d

avatar
Morning,

Driving home from work this morning and I was going up and down the gears trying to isolate the source of an odd vibration/noise (which may end up with it's own thread, does it ever end?  Rolling Eyes ) and I am on boost  when all of a sudden no power for a instant, a violent jerk, It was like hitting a brick wall. Immediately I'm off the accelerator but afterwards all is fine, no problems and boosting fine. I had just under half a tank, not sure which direction the previous bend was but I wasn't going at it that hard.

Does this sound like fuel starvation or some thing else? I had the exact same thing happen a while ago when tried to come on boost with the tank almost empty and put that down to starvation too. Just curious to know if I need to sort out a swirl pot or if it might be something else.

Pump is a Bosch 044 with a standard pickup on it and direct feed from the battery.

Cheers,
G



Last edited by grim_d on 5th April 2015, 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total

2 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 5th April 2015, 10:05 am

pulsarmoley

avatar
moderator
moderator
I had a similar situation years ago with mine, it turned out to be a loose grub screw on the rotor arm. In fairness though mine did it a lot and wasn't intermittent so may not be your fault.
Possible intermittent fault with the fuel pump?


_________________
Natural selection does not work quick enough  Evil or Very Mad

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

3 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 5th April 2015, 10:24 am

gtir_woody

avatar
moderator
moderator
Sounds like an interesting problem, surely if you have half a tank it wouldn't be fuel surge scratch

4 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 5th April 2015, 11:22 am

grim_d

avatar
@pulsarmoley wrote:I had a similar situation years ago with mine, it turned out to be a loose grub screw on the rotor arm. In fairness though mine did it a lot and wasn't intermittent so may not be your fault.
Possible intermittent fault with the fuel pump?

Ill check the rotor arm out. It wasnt like a missfire though.

@gtir_woody wrote:Sounds like an interesting problem, surely if you have half a tank it wouldn't be fuel surge scratch

I would have thought not. Which is why im not sure. Possible going round a left hand bend uncovered the pickup for a moment and it drew in a pocket of air. Need to check if the pickup is low enough.

Whats fuel surge like? Not something ive experienced before.

5 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 5th April 2015, 4:27 pm

nomad

avatar
Admin
Admin
I would check the pump hasnt moved in the cradle and is still low enough ...


_________________
"Official post whore" and all round superhero....

6 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 5th April 2015, 6:48 pm

grim_d

avatar
I will be checking that too. Or maybe something stupid like the pickup has fell off, assuming it was fuel starvation.

7 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 5th April 2015, 7:43 pm

johnny gtir

avatar
moderator
moderator
Boost spike of some sort reason ie over boost ? Check stuff under bonnet aswell leads all tight stuff like clips all tight. Sounds like fuel starv but dose no harm to check everything right down to batt terminals injector clips etc

8 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 5th April 2015, 8:17 pm

PartyPete

avatar
the one star club
the one star club
Whenever mine is under half a tank and go round a corner with my foot down I have fuel surge, it always does it, I need to invest in a swirl pot, just another job on my long expensive list.... Rolling Eyes

9 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 5th April 2015, 8:31 pm

johnny gtir

avatar
moderator
moderator
Lower the pump and pick up pipe on a standard filter rather than the walbro filter

10 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 5th April 2015, 8:49 pm

grim_d

avatar
@PartyPete wrote:Whenever mine is under half a tank and go round a corner with my foot down I have fuel surge, it always does it, I need to invest in a swirl pot, just another job on my long expensive list.... Rolling Eyes

Symptoms same as mine Pete? I know a lot of people have trouble on track but not the road.

@johnny gtir wrote:Boost spike of some sort reason ie over boost ? Check stuff under bonnet aswell leads all tight stuff like clips all tight. Sounds like fuel starv but dose no harm to check everything right down to batt terminals injector clips etc

My EBC has a peak boost value, ill check it didnt spike above normal, i have loads of headroom for spiking so shouldnt cause an issue anyway?

11 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 5th April 2015, 9:03 pm

PartyPete

avatar
the one star club
the one star club
Exactly the same but only round corners, unless its very low and I'm really booting it in a straight line, but yes exactly the same, a violent jerk

12 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 6th April 2015, 7:07 pm

grim_d

avatar
So everything is as it should be, pump and pickup all secure, wiring all secure. Dizzy cap and rotor arm fine, injector clips secure, battery and it's terminals secure, no boost spike above normal.

Been absolutely all over the car today looking for my mystery vibration and haven't found anything else wrong that could of caused surge, must of just caught an air bubble somehow.

Been out today, no issues, ill put it down to a glitch and see what happens!

13 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 6th April 2015, 7:17 pm

nomad

avatar
Admin
Admin
Very strange just have to put it down to a technical glitch grim ...


_________________
"Official post whore" and all round superhero....

14 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 6th April 2015, 8:54 pm

gtir_woody

avatar
moderator
moderator
Have u checked the fuel filter? A mate had a kinda similar problem and turned out to be a whole crap in there, it was an intermittent problem aswell. Just thinking of anything else it could be Smile

15 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 6th April 2015, 10:03 pm

mikewazowski

avatar
Mine did that too, did your engine sound change at all? my car also misfired alot, i blame this on the shitty leads i had.

16 Re: Fuel starvation "surge" on 7th April 2015, 9:32 am

grim_d

avatar
@gtir_woody wrote:Have u checked the fuel filter? A mate had a kinda similar problem and turned out to be a whole crap in there, it was an intermittent problem aswell. Just thinking of anything else it could be Smile

I didn't because it's done less than 1k miles, suppose it's worth looking though.

@mikewazowski wrote:Mine did that too, did your engine sound change at all? my car also misfired alot, i blame this on the shitty leads i had.

Not that I noticed, it does have a set of those silly "performance" leads on it though which I have though about changing for a while.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum