Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » General Discusion » Random banter » top ranking ....

top ranking ....

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 top ranking .... on 26th August 2015, 8:32 am

nomad

Admin
Admin
We are top ranked on google now with the biggest hits over other sites .... so big thanks to all the members and team thumbsup

2 Re: top ranking .... on 26th August 2015, 9:48 am

Stu

Admin
Admin
Wow thats ace Smile
We are top of the league say we are top of the league.. Laughing

3 Re: top ranking .... on 26th August 2015, 12:11 pm

Welling_AL

And well deserved too ! Keep up the good work all !

4 Re: top ranking .... on 26th August 2015, 12:13 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Yeh that good but you not using it to full advantage.
The sites robot.txt is restricting content being cached by google which makes google search via google site or this site embedded search close to useless.
Also you penalised by google so results are much much lower on searches or not included at all.
Easy 1 minute fix by editing robot.txt correctly.

5 Re: top ranking .... on 26th August 2015, 2:19 pm

Stu

Admin
Admin
We aren't allowed to edit the robot.txt.
I just searched on our help forum and it says we can't.
Not sure how we can get around this.
Its to technical for me to understand Laughing

6 Re: top ranking .... on 26th August 2015, 4:20 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Have a word with your host support, generally if you have a domain & host package you in full control of scripts & robot.txt.
If you just have some form of forum host package then might be more limited & I assume this what you got. Way it is now really is holding it back massively ...
I know GoDaddy don't normally restrict robot.txt but not sure what your package is as you had that whacky issue about paying so not have banner ads & I never seen that with GoDaddy either :-S ...

7 Re: top ranking .... on 26th August 2015, 6:06 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
We will have to get our resident  web admin on it Wink ...

8 Re: top ranking .... on 26th August 2015, 8:01 pm

gtir_woody

Good stuff, this forum should be top ranked thumbsup

9 Re: top ranking .... on 26th August 2015, 8:06 pm

johnny gtir

Glad you agree woody prob same reason as me because I am on here ha ha

10 Re: top ranking .... on 26th August 2015, 8:15 pm

pulsar23

Champions!!!!

11 Re: top ranking .... on 27th August 2015, 10:29 am

Digitalfaze

web admin
web admin
Im not sure robots.txt is needed due to the way bots are handled in phpbb.

you can include the path to a sitemap.php file but you don't really need a sitemap for dynamic sites like phpbb anyway.

the links change on a daily basis so it is not really giving the search engines an up to date list of pages etc.

however im not really versed too well with robots.txt but i can look into it a bit more but the above from a little reseasrch i done so correct me if its wrong

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

12 Re: top ranking .... on 27th August 2015, 11:57 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Robot.txt can allow & disallow certain search/cache functions, such as disallowing google searching/caching images.
In case of what happening with this site it seems all content is disallowed
All page urls can be found by google bots & they read page/topic titles but no content is taken.
As a result of this the site is way way down in any search or not found at all in first few pages of results even when search key words are manipulated so should produce results on first page near top.
Basically anyone searching info on GTiR is unlikely find the club & the info with way it is presently, also makes all the info hard to find even for current members of the forum.
Robot.txt needs looking at, backing up then modding/deleting as first step .
Do we have any seo - web developer expert members !

13 Re: top ranking .... on 27th August 2015, 12:26 pm

shroom

Mr B could this be to do with how the forum is setup, I know it was changed so that most of the topics are private so only logged in members can view them, would this be causing search engines not to be able to see the details of the posts as no one can see them anyway unless they are logged in.

That seems like the main issue with the way the forum is setup? I know when trying to add twitter feeds to websites etc the twitter account needs to be public to ensure the feed works, if it is set to private it wont let just anyone view it hence stopping the feed from working. It seems like the same scenario here. The pages are private so people googling wont see it anyway.

14 Re: top ranking .... on 27th August 2015, 1:07 pm

Digitalfaze

web admin
web admin
Mr B wrote:Robot.txt can allow & disallow certain search/cache functions, such as disallowing google searching/caching images.
In case of what happening with this site it seems all content is disallowed
All page urls can be found by google bots & they read page/topic titles but no content is taken.
As a result of this the site is way way down in any search or not found at all in first few pages of results even when search key words are manipulated so should produce results on first page near top.
Basically anyone searching info on GTiR is unlikely find the club & the info with way it is presently, also makes all the info hard to find even for current members of the forum.
Robot.txt needs looking at, backing up then modding/deleting as first step .
Do we have any seo - web developer expert members !

Ah yeah i see the robots.txt file now so know what your talking about.

User-agent: Mediapartners-Google
Disallow:

User-agent: Mediapartners-Google*
Disallow:

Disallow: /post (possibly others too)

Above needs changed to allow or removed, and it should be within the website root folder

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

15 Re: top ranking .... on 27th August 2015, 2:26 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
^
Yeh I would delete that entire robot.txt if nothing in it needed.

Robot.txt could of been made automatic pending on settings like shroom on about for forum section privacy, assume you could hone the robot.txt to stop indexing of certain forum parts if wanted ! but blocking it all is a bad way to go for site growth & usability ...

16 Re: top ranking .... on 27th August 2015, 4:42 pm

johnboy

Talking to a web developer at work and he said the same. For a site like ours its best deleted completely.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum