Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » General Discusion » Random banter » Restoring or Modifying?

Restoring or Modifying?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 9:33 am

gtir_woody

Which is more satisfying? When I first started building my car it was intended to be a dirty track pig but over time, stripping her down, replacing parts, painting bits I really wish I had a completely standard R that I brought back to her original glory.

Modifying is fun and I guess it depends what you want out of the car. Slowly seeing things on my car looking fresh and clean it makes me want an original car even more Smile This to me is much more satisfying than looking at all the other mods ive done to the car.

2 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 10:25 am

Cosmic73

I think it changes depending on how old and rare GTIR's get.
When there's loads, most people will modify them, but now GTIR's are getting rarer and going up in value i would argue that more people would want to standardise them.
This is what I'm doing with my project, putting everything back to standard (except for the fuck off huge intercooler which i aint parting with) Laughing

3 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 10:47 am

ducie54

I like modifying

Either way it will cost you heaps.

4 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 1:10 pm

shroom

Standard R with stock or simular exhaust system is pretty boring. Cant believe the standard wheels are coming back in too as only a few years ago they were trash.

A nice stock R would be nice but not for me i am afraid as its a boring thing. Some exhaust note and some boost doesnt go a miss.

5 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 1:15 pm

wrc

I guess its down to the owner that's the main deciding factor and also the age of the gtir is the next.

Back in the day it was all amount modifying - everyone wanted to be the quickest and spank scoobies etc, we've all wanted that. And also the cars 10 years ago weren't at the age where they were in need of any major resto.

Nower days its different. People have done big power etc and been there. Also the cars are generally getting long in the tooth and its harder to make things that bit more reliable as they are that bit older and worn.

Me personally this is my 3rd gtir and not through choice ive bought it as a rolling shell, so I sat down and thought I could get it on the road quickly and get it to a 'that'll do' status. But I just stretched the time scale out as I can only buy little bits each month and we are just concentrating on bit by bit of the car so its basically a semi resto - and to be honest im loving it.

Over xmas she's up on the ramp for new undersealing and internal waxoil and all rear subframe off and new bushes etc. It will just be nice knowing in my head the whole car will be 'right'. It will take time as I do it bit by bit but its a nice feeling.

Being well in my 30's now I just don't have the need to be the fastest thing on the road, its more important to me to have a nice running driving one.

I think restos will become more common place soon as values are staying strong and most of them have had 25 years of being on the road now so are potentially tired and needing it.

My 2p worth anyway.

6 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 2:05 pm

Daniel232006

Moding lol :O)

7 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 4:30 pm

Stu

Admin
Admin
I want mine to be subtle mods but with a nice kick.
It will never be close to standard altho i do love the standard look.
Maybe if I hold onto it long enough I will eventually drop it back to more standard as I restore it.
For now I'm still looking to make it a little different from the rest.
I need two cars really lol one standard and one modded haha

8 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 4:52 pm

Cosmic73

I wouldn't mind having 2 cars as well,
one standard to keep mint and watch the value go up,
the other to modify and thrash the shit out of it.
whip

9 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 7:58 pm

gtir_woody

I reckon owning 2 R's would be the way to go Laughing imagine the cost though, I struggle with one atm lol

10 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 8:30 pm

johnny gtir

Run 5 it's crazy but I still could not have a totally standard minter as it's hard to keep a car very clean warm and dry. ( depending on where you live etc garage space) sitting things Perish and fail etc to Tho

11 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 8:32 pm

Andy Sunny Gti

Modified engine, standard on the outside if that's possible, is what I like.

12 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 8:45 pm

gtir_woody

@johnny gtir wrote:Run 5 it's crazy but I still could not have a totally standard minter as it's hard to keep a car very clean warm and dry. ( depending on where you live etc garage space) sitting things Perish and fail etc to Tho

I don't know how you do it lol I'd be tempted to pull stuff off them and swap parts between them all the time.

@Andy Sunny Gti wrote:Modified engine, standard on the outside if that's possible, is what I like.

I like that, super clean modified engine bay and the rest of car looking like it just rolled out of the factory.

13 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 9:32 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Alot are like that anyway ... standard looking as not huge amounts can be done with exterior styling ....

14 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 10:18 pm

gtir_woody

My body looks like a pile of shit, or maybe I'm just too picky lol

15 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 10:29 pm

pulsarmoley

I'll go for restoring a modified R Smile

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

16 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 17th December 2015, 10:44 pm

gtir_woody

Haha Smile modifying is fun researching stuff and looking at different ways to do things.

17 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 18th December 2015, 7:02 am

johnny gtir

@gtir_woody wrote:My body looks like a pile of shit, or maybe I'm just too picky lol
That's all the alcohol plays havoc with the body budha lol

18 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 18th December 2015, 7:47 am

gtir_woody

Haha tell me about it Johnny Laughing life would be boring without it though Laughing

19 Re: Restoring or Modifying? on 18th December 2015, 8:00 am

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
I'm the same, I'm loving working on mine, making it faster and changing the looks, but I'd love a bog standard minter (like what bones has) that I could appreciate for what it is, and watch the value creep up as an investment, Johnny should donate one of his cars to this quiz with a prize we will be having

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum