Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » General Discusion » Gtir related Discussion » Rebuilding engine, how to store?

Rebuilding engine, how to store?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Rebuilding engine, how to store? on 9th March 2016, 1:00 pm

burrows1980

Hi,

Im a the point of rebuilding the engine, as soon as Nissan order the various gaskets and crank bearings!

Ive cleaned the block and head, and tbh it looks better than new, so fits in well with the rest of the car Laughing Im going to use assembly lube on cams, crank etc but I wont be starting the car to possibly next year or at the very earliest october ish this year. Im worried about internal rust mainly on the bores, whats the best way that I can prevent this? I dont want to chuck loads of oil in the bores and cause glazing on start up. I did think about leaving it all bagged up, then build once ready but would run the risk of loosing parts and possibly damaging machined surfaces.

I read somewhere on a american hot rod forum about using vaseline, but would this harm anything when started?

My other worry is im putting new rings in, read somewhere that your not suppose to let it idle for too long with new rings installed, need to drive it under load to get the rings bedded in quickly, this will be a problem due to having to go for MOT before I can drive it anywhere. Will it harm it leaving it to idle for a while?

Gaz

2 Re: Rebuilding engine, how to store? on 9th March 2016, 4:10 pm

Cosmic73

If its got a light coating of oil and stored in a dry place i would think it would be fine for months.
Very Happy

3 Re: Rebuilding engine, how to store? on 9th March 2016, 7:59 pm

gtir_woody

Wd-40 and cling wrap?

4 Re: Rebuilding engine, how to store? on 9th March 2016, 8:21 pm

ADSgtir

Large heavy duty vacuum bag , couple of bags of silica gel - connect to vacuum cleaner - job done !!
Bags £25 for 5 -130cm x100

5 Re: Rebuilding engine, how to store? on 9th March 2016, 9:26 pm

burrows1980

@Cosmic73 wrote:If its got a light coating of oil and stored in a dry place i would think it would be fine for months.
Very Happy

The engine had been  on the stand for 2 years untouched, but when I stripped it a few weeks back I was surprised how dry the cams and internals were!, bearing surfaces were fine but exposed bits were dry.

@gtir_woody wrote:Wd-40 and cling wrap?

Thought about WD, but unsure how long it will last..

@ADSgtir wrote:Large heavy duty vacuum bag , couple of bags of silica gel - connect to vacuum cleaner - job done !!
Bags £25 for 5 -130cm x100

Well theres an idea! bit of pipe lagging on the corners etc before bagging job done! or even combine both these ideas silica gel and cling film..  Think cling film will be easier to wrap it than trying to get a bag around the engine while on the stand thumbsup

6 Re: Rebuilding engine, how to store? on 9th March 2016, 11:14 pm

gtir_woody

Cling wrap is similar to how engine builders do it I think. You can get the heavier duty stuff so it wears abit better aswell.

7 Re: Rebuilding engine, how to store? on 10th March 2016, 7:06 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
If building something that think going be stored for while such as a year perhaps! then I use assembly lube, quick spray of WD40 on bores, cams etc. bag/tape up holes etc. Then put it into couple of quality hd bin bags or similar & then drop engine on wood trolley (I have engine hanging on crane for bagging), put a small paper bag of rice in each bag layer & seal them separately then wheel it to storage place, finally I put another bin bag on over top as dust layer then when remove that to open other bags it all clean & no dust & shit goes in. Works fine here but not as wet/damp/cold like UK but should still be fine if months rather than years storage & have in dry/warm garage. Once fitted do proper oil priming before starting, I always remove rocker cover & run little oil over cams etc especially if new had been fitted.
You should be able bed your rings in on your way to the MOT Smile then some more run in afterwards, couple of heat cycles can be good too .

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum