Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » General Discusion » Gtir related Discussion » Turbo Balancing

Turbo Balancing

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Turbo Balancing on 11th March 2016, 9:11 pm

burrows1980

Evenin,

So I stripped the tubby down today:

I was going to get a new CHRA but due to lack of funds thought sod it over haul it myself and send it to the place in Blackpool for balancing.  I know a few lads on here have used them, but what do you actually send them? The whole CHRA:

or just the shaft:

And if it is just the shaft how does the balancing work if you have to take the compressor wheel off to fit back into the CHRA? I'm guessing they put a mark on the shaft and comp wheel to align back to...

According to there website they only need shaft and wheels:

Turbo Rebuild are pleased to offer a balancing service for the ultimate home Turbo rebuild. For only £50 which includes return postage (for a limited period only) you can send us your Turbo turbine shaft, compressor wheel, shaft nut and thrust collar and usually within 48hrs we will have returned your freshly balanced Turbo parts together with balancing printout. All Turbo rotors are balanced to as near perfect as possible in some cases to 0.001g but always to within manufacturer tolerances.

Really confused Laughing doesn't take much to confuse a Welshmen I guess loopy

Gaz

Oh found out why the shaft had a bit of play in it! Bearings fucked Laughing

2 Re: Turbo Balancing on 11th March 2016, 9:26 pm

shroom

Just give em a ring? I brought the CHRA and sent them my old turbo for them to fit all the housings etc their always on the end of the phone. Or spike will be able to tell u as he had his balanced.

3 Re: Turbo Balancing on 11th March 2016, 9:34 pm

burrows1980

@shroom wrote:Just give em a ring? I brought the CHRA and sent them my old turbo for them to fit all the housings etc their always on the end of the phone. Or spike will be able to tell u as he had his balanced.

I did try phoning them, but 9pm they didn't answer Laughing yeah I'll give them a bell tomorrow or Monday..

Which CHRA did you get from them? I was looking at the billet comp wheel one.

4 Re: Turbo Balancing on 11th March 2016, 10:14 pm

shroom

Yeah only the Welsh "work" at 9pm under the cover of darkness with their flock.... Laughing

5 Re: Turbo Balancing on 12th March 2016, 8:37 am

mc_hawkings24

I bought the one with the billet wheel as i was feeling lazy.
One thing about the chra's that pissed me off, its not machined at the base of the chra (unlike standard) so the banjo bolt cannot bolt all the way down. You have to cut the banjo's down, lucky i had an agle grinder with me or i would've been buggered. Performance wise not sure yet, i need to adjust the actuator

6 Re: Turbo Balancing on 12th March 2016, 1:04 pm

shroom

That's the one I went for,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Pulsar-Sunny-GTir-Turbo-CHRA-Cartridge-465997-Turbocharger-TB2804-SR20DET-/321603942526?hash=item4ae116b87e:g:51oAAOSwiCRUfIQG

Although Hawkins I got them to fit my old turbo's housing and all ancillaries so take me bothering Laughing

7 Re: Turbo Balancing on 12th March 2016, 1:14 pm

johnny gtir

@mc_hawkings24 wrote:I bought the one with the billet wheel as i was feeling lazy.
One thing about the chra's that pissed me off, its not machined at the base of the chra (unlike standard) so the banjo bolt cannot bolt all the way down. You have to cut the banjo's down, lucky i had an agle grinder with me or i would've been buggered. Performance wise not sure yet, i need to adjust the actuator
aint read all this as at work but
Is it roller bearing ? And reson banjo bolt don't fit as its requires a restrictor

8 Re: Turbo Balancing on 12th March 2016, 2:05 pm

shroom

Thats the spec

Uprated 11 Blade Billet Compressor Wheel (Super small nose resulting in higher airflow)
Water Cooled Housing
360 Degree Large Thrust Bearing
High Thrust Stainless Steel Thrust Bearing
High Temperature Staggered Oil Seal
Reverse thread shaft thread/nut (ensures nut cannot loosen in normal working conditions)
Precision Balanced.

9 Re: Turbo Balancing on 12th March 2016, 2:11 pm

burrows1980

I enquired about that one and his response was:

Although we have had no power graphs for this application, the GTX style wheel typically returns 10% extra air flow and a 500rpm reduction in lag. fitting this unit will reduce the power losses of dropping the boost pressure. Sadly I cannot advise by how much.

As I'm reducing boost from 1.3 to 1.0 bar I'm hoping this would help compensate for the reduction..

10 Re: Turbo Balancing on 12th March 2016, 8:34 pm

mc_hawkings24

@johnny gtir wrote:
@mc_hawkings24 wrote:I bought the one with the billet wheel as i was feeling lazy.
aint read all this as at work but
Is it roller bearing ? And reson banjo bolt don't fit as its requires a restrictor

What do you mean by requiring a restrictor?
Both oil and water banjo's didn't fit

Shroom did your banjo's bolt all the way down?

I adjusted the actuator earlier and went for a drive, feels less laggy and gets through the gears quicker.

11 Re: Turbo Balancing on 12th March 2016, 11:10 pm

shroom

Hi mate, I sent them my old turbo so they fitted the housings, oil and water feed along with the actuator etc so I never did it myself. I had the CHRA for about 3 months then couldnt be bothered trying to split it all (no space or vice etc) so just sent it to them :-)

12 Re: Turbo Balancing on 13th March 2016, 6:33 am

johnny gtir

What do you mean by requiring a restrictor?
Both oil and water banjo's didn't fit

Shroom did your banjo's bolt all the way down?

I adjusted the actuator earlier and went for a drive, feels less laggy and gets through the gears quicker.  [/quote]

It won't if it's not roller bearing. You running standard lines ?
So you getting it mapped or they not that different to warrent a map ? Sounds like would be best to if you can feel the difference and it flows more

13 Re: Turbo Balancing on 13th March 2016, 6:44 am

gtir_woody

Restrictor in the oil feed? are you running standard or braided lines?

14 Re: Turbo Balancing on 13th March 2016, 7:29 am

mc_hawkings24

I would imagine it's got journal bearings otherwise it would say in the description and i'm using a different compressor housing and braided lines. I've sent them an email to find out and I do have an ecu to map at some point

15 Re: Turbo Balancing on 13th March 2016, 8:26 am

johnny gtir

If it flows more air mate I would get it checked. Cheaper than a engine and remember every car performs different. It's always good to get checked if you change anything or again only my opinion once a year to keep a eye on fueling boost leaks etc make sure ignition etc is performing as should even on a standard car

16 Re: Turbo Balancing on 13th March 2016, 12:49 pm

mc_hawkings24

It does need abit of fiddling as going to nurburg in may so going to see bob before hand.

17 Re: Turbo Balancing on 14th March 2016, 3:28 pm

mc_hawkings24

Here is what they said

Generally no a restrictor is not required. In some instances where upgraded oil pump is used then yes one can be used. You need to measure how much oil comes from drain of turbo in 60 seconds. If over 750ml then yes restrictor is worth using. 300ml is minimum and car should not be run when this low

So take the rubber oil rerurn off the bottom of the block and into a bottle?
Anyone done this before?

18 Re: Turbo Balancing on 14th March 2016, 3:36 pm

johnny gtir

I would work off the basis that if its not roller bearing it won't. Yes seen this method used.

19 Re: Turbo Balancing on 14th March 2016, 3:37 pm

shroom

Nope lol its nearly impossible to easily take the return pipe on and off without unbolting the tubby first. I have had one split before and there is only a cm or two of gap between the oil pipe on the turbo and the one on the block from what I remember? Could be wrong though!

20 Re: Turbo Balancing on 14th March 2016, 7:45 pm

mc_hawkings24

I did a little reading last night and could see why the need for a restrictor on ballbearing turbo and why you don't on journal bearing. Good to know i don't have to remove the turbo as the oil feed banjo's hassle and the block return. I think i squeezed the return off before but was hard work.

Have you tried yours yet shroom?

21 Re: Turbo Balancing on 14th March 2016, 8:31 pm

shroom

Yeah running with it now :-) only on stock boost seems alright nice to have a fresh turbo for a change no smoke.

22 Re: Turbo Balancing on 14th March 2016, 9:23 pm

burrows1980

Bloody hell lads!! im changing my mind to getting the billet one again Laughing

23 Re: Turbo Balancing on 14th March 2016, 9:34 pm

mc_hawkings24

I hear you about the smoking, it is nice not to be embarrassed by your shonky old smoker when you look in the rear view and can still see behind.

It's alot more fruity than the standard core at 10psi

24 Re: Turbo Balancing on 14th March 2016, 9:42 pm

shroom

Yeah seems good just got it insured again so need to get out in it a bit! I have had to change turbos on both my Rs recently and this seems like a good cost effective way of doing it.

25 Re: Turbo Balancing on 14th March 2016, 10:19 pm

mc_hawkings24

How much did they do your core for?

Burrows i have a 360 degree rebuild kit i could sell
But you need the billet wheel and to send your core off.
I have an s14 housing on mine as supposed to be more give so standard housing could be quicker spool up or could be exactly the same but you gotta try these things lol

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum