Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Tech room » Help and Advice » Help!

Help!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 14]

251 Re: Help! on 25th June 2016, 11:04 am

Cosmic73

Here's the video

The reason why it sticks is because of rust on all the moving surfaces of the reverse mechanism.

I don't know why this is all rusty but the builder should have removed the rust and polished the surfaces to get smooth  contacts.
The builder also didn't clean out the gearbox from previous failures so all those debris would've further jammed the mechanism.

So, I'm now certain  your builder is at fault for your failures.

252 Re: Help! on 25th June 2016, 11:21 am

ducie54

You may find if the box is on the side like normal operation it may play up more often. Gravity won't be trying to pull the gear down and there more friction on the slide.

253 Re: Help! on 25th June 2016, 12:40 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Oil & windage will make huge difference too but that definitely right base cause of failure.
Any damage signs on input gear & shafts 12&3 & all hubs from debris that been carried about in the oil ! 3rd must of taken some shock loads as idler catched on the syncro outer reverse collar .

254 Re: Help! on 25th June 2016, 12:43 pm

Cosmic73

@ducie54 wrote:You may find if the box is on the side like normal operation it may play up more often. Gravity won't be trying to pull the gear down and there more friction on the slide.

Thats a good point, Very Happy

255 Re: Help! on 25th June 2016, 2:33 pm

johnny gtir

Very good effort tho mate Pete must be over the moon to of had your help as once over even after I said don't he was tempted to return to the builder would of been more money wasted

256 Re: Help! on 25th June 2016, 2:43 pm

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
@johnny gtir wrote:Very good effort  tho mate Pete must be over the moon to of had your help as once over even after I said don't he was tempted to return to the builder would of been more money wasted

Over the moon? I genuinely can't thank him enough for all this!
So is the conclusion that it's the builders fault due to removing the mechanism Neil? I understand now seeing the video why there was so much damage to the edge of the gear

257 Re: Help! on 25th June 2016, 2:54 pm

johnny gtir

I've Really happy he offered like you said when someone is abit more local and you been there before you might of went back to him again and he would of charged you more money again. Neil is learning us all a lot

258 Re: Help! on 25th June 2016, 3:14 pm

Cosmic73

@PartyPete wrote:
@johnny gtir wrote:Very good effort  tho mate Pete must be over the moon to of had your help as once over even after I said don't he was tempted to return to the builder would of been more money wasted

Over the moon? I genuinely can't thank him enough for all this!
So is the conclusion that it's the builders fault due to removing the mechanism Neil? I understand now seeing the video why there was so much damage to the edge of the gear

The builder removed the 5th/reverse switch stop not the reverse interlock as i originally thought, this wasnt the cause.
The interlocks were all fitted and working which surprised me so that wasnt the cause either and i was a bit stumped.
So i just did a few shifts and thats when i realised that it was the sliding idler gear that was sticking, even tho the interlocks snapped into neutral positions.
So not the builders fault for removing the reverse switch, but imo the builders fault for the following;

Fitting a rusty reverse mechanism  Evil or Very Mad
Not disassembling and cleaning all parts  Evil or Very Mad
Not measuring floats, clearances or wear limits  Evil or Very Mad

259 Re: Help! on 30th June 2016, 7:25 pm

Cosmic73

Hey Pete,
I started stripping your 2nd box and the main shaft us fubar

260 Re: Help! on 30th June 2016, 7:29 pm

johnny gtir

What's wrong with it learing a lot from this thread thanks

261 Re: Help! on 30th June 2016, 7:48 pm

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
I can see a massive chip out of it

262 Re: Help! on 30th June 2016, 8:09 pm

johnny gtir

See it now

263 Re: Help! on 30th June 2016, 8:10 pm

burrows1980

Gear next to bearing, well that's what I can see, the gear next to it has marks on the teeth but not sure if they suppose to be there?

264 Re: Help! on 30th June 2016, 8:10 pm

burrows1980

Doh too slow Laughing

265 Re: Help! on 30th June 2016, 8:17 pm

Cosmic73

@burrows1980 wrote:Gear next to bearing, well that's what I can see, the gear next to it has marks on the teeth but not sure if they suppose to be there?

Those marks on the toplands (what us gear chaps call the surface at the tips) are made by the hobbing machine during manufacture.
Very Happy

266 Re: Help! on 4th July 2016, 5:50 pm

Cosmic73

Thus photo sums up why it's so important to completely strip down the shaft assemblies. Although it looked clean on the outside , under the cone recess was a debris trap , No

267 Re: Help! on 4th July 2016, 7:01 pm

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
Is this debris from a previous Failure then? I.e when I've smashed 3rd and 4th gears?

268 Re: Help! on 5th July 2016, 8:28 am

Cosmic73

@PartyPete wrote:Is this debris from a previous Failure then? I.e when I've smashed 3rd and 4th gears?

It's too late to tell mate, but there would've been a lot of nasty shit flying round after that rebuild.
I've brought the mainshaft from your 2nd box to work to pull off the gears and get to the synchro parts. Hopefully they'll still be in spec. Very Happy

269 Re: Help! on 5th July 2016, 9:44 am

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
@Cosmic73 wrote:
@PartyPete wrote:Is this debris from a previous Failure then? I.e when I've smashed 3rd and 4th gears?

It's too late to tell mate, but there would've been a lot of nasty shit flying round after that rebuild.
I've brought the mainshaft from your 2nd box to work to pull off the gears and get to the synchro parts. Hopefully they'll still be in spec. Very Happy

Great stuff cheers Very Happy

270 Re: Help! on 5th July 2016, 10:51 am

GTI-R US

Management
Management
cant beleive none of you fookers have given Neil a rep point/s for this as hes gone well out his way with sorting things out for the gearbox slayer lol

So ive just awarded you some mr cosmos which more than makes up for the neg one ive left you also haha
Due to the vid being extremely boring have had to leave neg feedback for that, no smut, no violence and certainly no funny bits so dont give up the day job lol  Very Happy

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

271 Re: Help! on 5th July 2016, 11:53 am

Cosmic73

@GTI-R US wrote:cant beleive none of you fookers have given Neil a rep point/s for this as hes gone well out his way with sorting things out for the gearbox slayer lol

So ive just awarded you some mr cosmos which more than makes up for the neg one ive left you also haha
Due to the vid being extremely boring have had to leave neg feedback for that, no smut, no violence and certainly no funny bits so dont give up the day job lol  Very Happy

Thanks Bob, about time i got a bit of apprecia-fucking-ation round here well done
In my next video i'll dress as a mechanic with my fingers deep inside Pete's box while my wife pulls on his shaft. Yah, yah, fantashteesh censored

272 Re: Help! on 5th July 2016, 12:56 pm

burrows1980

Boring video yoursofunny tight git Laughing

273 Re: Help! on 5th July 2016, 5:05 pm

johnny gtir

@Cosmic73 wrote:
@GTI-R US wrote:cant beleive none of you fookers have given Neil a rep point/s for this as hes gone well out his way with sorting things out for the gearbox slayer lol

Thanks Bob, about time i got a bit of apprecia-fucking-ation round here well done
In my next video i'll dress as a mechanic with my fingers deep inside Pete's box while my wife pulls on his shaft. Yah, yah,
fantashteesh censored

Cheeky fookers some of us left rep points even right at the start page 3. And I am more than willing to hold the camera for next video

274 Re: Help! on 5th July 2016, 5:41 pm

shroom

I had to give him a negative rep point for turning up to a meet with MG seat covers on his R. I know he is northern but come on yoursofunny

In all seriousness great effort mate

275 Re: Help! on 5th July 2016, 5:50 pm

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
@Cosmic73 wrote:

In my next video i'll dress as a mechanic with my fingers deep inside Pete's box while my wife pulls on his shaft. Yah, yah,

censored

It would be like some weird Geordie shore episode

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum