Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Tech room » Help and Advice » wilwood midilite brakes spongy

wilwood midilite brakes spongy

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 20th August 2016, 6:19 pm

mc_hawkings24

Still having problems bleeding these brakes. Have bled them many times now and have changed the master cylinder aswell.
I have crisscross bled the brakes and have tried with the engine running and it's made no difference. I've just now tried with all wheels off and getting the abs to cut in then bleed but that made no difference either. I'm also getting alot of air coming out of the calipers when bleeding and when you think thats it no more air you run the engine then rebleed and get a load of air out of the calipers again.

I still have the original nissan calipers so i was going to try them out and if there fine then it's a caliper problem unless anyone has any suggestions?

These were purchased new 2months ago

2 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 20th August 2016, 7:17 pm

toaster55

Have you tried bleeding from inner bleed point then outer on each wheel? As that could make a difference I had to on mine as had similar problems.

3 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 20th August 2016, 7:19 pm

toaster55

Or it might be outer then inner can't remember as was a long time ago. Hope you sort it as they're good when sorted!

Last edited by toaster55 on 20th August 2016, 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

4 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 20th August 2016, 7:19 pm

toaster55

Sorry double post

5 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 20th August 2016, 7:32 pm

mc_hawkings24

Hi mate i have tried that and it hasn't made any difference.
Would be great to get these to work as they cost alot of money.

6 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 20th August 2016, 7:53 pm

Gtirchris

As toaster said, bleed inner, then outer, then inner again, if they're still spongy, take it for a drive, and on a quiet road with nothing behind you brake hard so the abs activates a few times, then go back and rebleed the brakes, only reason I suggest this is that I had an issue with a BMW at work after fitting a new abs module, turns out it's quite common, air 'sticks' to the inside of the pipes and activating the abs shifts the air down the pipe, give it a try fella, hope that helps.

http://www.guglielmimotorsport.co.uk

7 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 20th August 2016, 10:02 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Is the bleed nipples at the bottom ????

8 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 21st August 2016, 7:11 am

johnny gtir

And Gaz had the problem where the rear calipers were making the fronts crap due to ha brake adjuster or something seized.

Think we spoke about these remind me are you pressure bleeding or got someone working the pedal.

9 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 21st August 2016, 8:34 am

toaster55

@nomad wrote:Is the bleed nipples at the bottom ????
There's four bleed nipples , 2 top, 2 bottom on Wilwood's. So they can be fitted either side.

10 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 21st August 2016, 8:36 am

toaster55

Saw Gaz's post back then, soan refurbed both my rears at same time too. So it could be that as well!

11 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 21st August 2016, 4:14 pm

Keensie

I had this problem couldn't get a firm pedal, wilwood say to bleed inner bottom nipple first then the outer but also gentle tapping the caliper with a rubber mallet whilst bleeding fixed it for me.

12 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 21st August 2016, 5:37 pm

mc_hawkings24

Can't see it being rear calipers as they worked before i changed the fronts to wilwoods. I have tried inner and outer but no luck. What i'm going to try now is put the original calipers back on with pads but need hoses i bloody binned them. If i get a hard pedal then it's calipers.

I did try bleeding abs but that didn't do anything

13 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 21st August 2016, 5:49 pm

ducie54

If you remove front calipers and the master cylinder ran dry you should bleed the rear as the stock proportion valve is front and rear diagonal split.

14 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 23rd August 2016, 6:15 pm

mc_hawkings24

I've ordered some hoses for the original calipers now so see how it goes and if it's fine then i'll send the wilwoods back.

15 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 27th August 2016, 12:23 pm

mc_hawkings24

I have confirmed that the wilwoods are the problem. Standard brakes back on and solid pedal when running but now to email or ring the company i bought them from.

16 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 27th August 2016, 8:44 pm

johnny gtir

How bad was the pedal with them on what hoses did you have on mate

17 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 27th August 2016, 10:04 pm

mc_hawkings24

Pedal was hard when engine is off but switch on and it's spongy. Hard to stop and wasn't good the other day nearly rear ended a motor. Lines were made by rally design in two piece form.

18 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 28th August 2016, 6:33 am

johnny gtir

Let us know what the company say. Trouble is the midilite suit lightweight vehicles not heavy front ended pulsars

19 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 28th August 2016, 6:49 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Odd one !
Not biggest fan of wilwood but your issue bit odd, either caliper flexing or it getting constant air pocket for some reason !
I would try get refund but if that no go an exchange of calipers would be good, reviewing brake lines maybe good too .
about best 3 options for brakes at sensible cost is akebono 2 pots on outlander brackets & 294mm galant discs, mix that with carbotech pads front and rear and they are evil & affordable.
Hi-Spec 4pots not bad, even better if find nice priced decent used set .
k-sport 6pots (copy of AP 6pot caliper) are good & priced nice in asia .
Hope get resolved one way or other ...

20 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 28th August 2016, 7:00 am

johnny gtir

Wilwood use a odd size  banjo bolt don't they ? Seen a few get damaged n the 2 coppers washer not right and weep. Total wrong size might restrict flow

Caliper flex was a issue on them for me but they did stop better than yours by the sounds of it

21 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 28th August 2016, 11:15 pm

mc_hawkings24

Here are some pics

I'm not using any copper washers only the union in the pic
And then the brake line screwed onto it.
I have noted the caliper flex which isn't much but this is not flex it's a ton of air that won't draw out.
I changed the top nipples for one piece instead of the usual two piece the other week but that made no difference just abit easier.

22 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 29th August 2016, 8:35 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
You could try a little bit of liquid thread seal on fitting thread to caliper & also remove caliper from bracket, fit bock of wood between pads to save accidental mess & hang it as high as possible to promote air removal via nipples.
I have heard some hang it high & angled so bleeding from what would be bottom nipples when mounted .
Is quite a bit of flex in those calipers, few people complain on bleeding air issue :-S
Pain in the butt.
Pedal can appear softer due to hydraulic ratio change of different piston size meaning more travel & increased foot force needed but your 25.4mm bigger master cylinder should of helped balance that & springy pedal certainly seems like air !

23 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 29th August 2016, 4:22 pm

mc_hawkings24

Hopefully have a reply from the company tomorrow.
I know the auction advert had a 14 day money back but should have some sort or manufacturer warranty.

24 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 1st September 2016, 6:00 pm

mc_hawkings24

This is a message relayed to the seller from rallydesign

"I can not say what is happening with your customers kit, We have sold around 50-60 kit for the Nissan with not issues what’s so ever and the Midilite calipers we have sold 1000’s without these type of issues. If you want to have it back to us we can take a look and plumb them to see if they bleed up."

So if you like we could get you to send calipers back for testing, but they are not expecting there to be an issue.

I replied to the seller saying rallydesign should google there product as there's a ton of people having issues with there calipers.

25 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on 1st September 2016, 10:39 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Do you expect to get to far with them ..... sounds like they are way to over confident about the calipers ... ... what do you think it could be then a faulty seal or something ???

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum