Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Tech room » Help and Advice » wilwood midilite brakes spongy

wilwood midilite brakes spongy

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:33 am

mc_hawkings24

I've no idea but depends on how there plumbing them up and what to and what is the bleed process there using We'll see what happens but there confidence is on another level hehe.

27 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:03 am

mc_hawkings24

While i was at work yesterday rallydesign called me but then they were on breaktime when i rang back. Had a voicemail today from motorsport tools saying rally design found no faults. Need to ring back tomorrow. Not sure what they have them rigged up to or how there bleeding them.

28 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:32 am

nomad

Admin
Admin
Defo think your have to talk to them doesnt sound like they want to admit there is anything wrong with them even if there is ....

29 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:18 am

mc_hawkings24

I know what you mean i will have to find out.

30 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:58 pm

ROB_IOW

the two star club
the two star club
I had this when I first fitted mine . Took it out and nearly rear ended a car .. It was because of the heat range of my pads .. when cold they pretty much don't work. ..
How long did you drive it for?

31 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:04 am

mc_hawkings24

Well there sending me out a new set of calipers as a good will gesture. Claim the 2 piece bleed nipples were damaged and threads knackered on the brass end and loose when they checked. I know there's nothing wrong with them as i had them all out prior to packing for inspection and retightening them. They said only the metal nipple should be turned but i said when i undid the 1/4 nut on top it undone the brass.

Said the allen key carrier bolts were crossed threaded abit into the carrier but i said its the way the carrier has been tapped it's not straight the bolts won't go in straight.

Oh and they said they need a full rebuild but because of the cost there sending new ones out. In my mind if someone saids there's nothing wrong with something they send it back they don't send out a new batch. They also said they've never had a problem with wilwood brakes ever and i said just go on google.
It all sounds abit fishy to me but there sending a new set out so we will see

32 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:58 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Wilwood always been known for soft calipers, bits break off & threads go, seen a few complaints long term, they pretty cheap & price use reflect that but gone up a bit . k-sport AP copies get my vote, great design, super rigid, plenty spares as ap parts fit too & price reasonable here.
Hope these replacements work A1 & you like them .

33 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:45 am

mc_hawkings24

I did consider the k-sports the other day but i can't deal with spending money and losing money at the same time.
I'd still lose out £200 on the brake pads and brake lines if i asked for a refund and that's if they would even give me one. I think the new set's turning up friday and a weekend of fitting fun all over again.

34 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:21 am

johnny gtir

Good luck keep us informed

35 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:22 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Hope works out and you just had bad first set .
Lucky they willing send out new set .
If still getting issue I would review brake lines & fittings .
K-sport 6 pots are quite good but prices unfortunately seem bit high in west, popular in Asia and used on lot of motorsport cars, only bad thing on them is the cheesy looking logo, lucky they copied ap on important matters lol

36 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:04 am

mc_hawkings24

Ok update time. They sent the new set and bled up the same and felt the same so i bought a pressure bleeder to go on the reservoir but bodged up a standard cap to work but it didn't so i need a proper manufactured cap for bleeding. I thought as i had mintex m1144 pads in my evo setup i'd get a set for these as a last ditch effort. Fitted them sunday and drove as normal but only yesterday i noticed i could just touch the brake pedal and could feel it braking which up until now was unheard of haha. So a brake test outside nissan as someone pulled out on me showed they worked and today they were pretty decent but no hard stops until there worn in. Said's on the packet "competiton pads not for road use" which i didn't notice on the evo set, strange as they work unlike the ferodo ds2500 which really shouldn't be for road use. So conclusions hmm maybe the calipers are mean't to feel abit spongy? but atleast i got to the bottom of it with correct pads for my needs.

On the ds2500 pads i did do the break in period like it said's on the box which is 20 or so on off braking goes to heat them up but really didn't make any difference.

37 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:51 pm

mreguest

mine are not hard pedal but they stop amazing. the standard get a harder pedal feel but obviously don't stop as well.

the comment above about heat range on the pads is a good one. i got the ones that wilwood recommend as daily driver. before that i had some ebc ones that just didn't quite feel right unless hot.

something i did which was incredibly stupid in hindsight but at the time seems correct, and i wonder if you are doing the same thing...?

you only bleed the brakes using the upper inner first and then outer bleed nipples. I made the huge mistake of also trying to bleed them using the lower bleed nipples, this is a big mistake and leads to dangerous levels of spongyness Sad

using the lower bleed always introduces air in to the system, remember air rises through a fluid so opening the lower screws is a big NO.

I have bled them many times now and always do it with the engine off. furthest rear caliper first moving closer.

get a friend and follow this:
http://www.wilwood.com/m/techtip/TechFaqAnswer.aspx?id=10&no=1

any new pads and discs take some bedding in too.

good luck!
Adam

38 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:51 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
I think main issue with the wilwoods is soft flexi calipers & possibly not best piston displacement to master output .
If you compare akebono, wilwwood to AP or k-sport pedal feel is massively firmer with confident punch of bite.
I've used 1144 and indeed labelled as no road use but work good for price, bit dusty & squeaky at times, carbotech way go if got the budget .

39 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:01 pm

mike74

I just sold an XR2 that was running these calipers but with a mondeo master cylinder and servo. The first time I drove it and the pedal constantly went to the floor, even after pressure bleeding it a few times. As soon as the brakes bedded in slightly it improved massively Very Happy

40 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:23 pm

mreguest

also consider that 25 year old rubber pipes are pretty spongy too. get some braided ones.

and I wonder if the old master cylinder has lost some of it's power? (not sure how these things work)

and one last thing is your pedal box solid? when i had a really heavy clutch my pedal box flexed really bad.

41 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:31 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
He got new bigger master cylinder and all new flex lines .
wilwood are called balsawood here, akebono on half decent 294 discs well fitted and with carbotech front and rear are better and cheaper than wilwood kit, last a lot better too .

42 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:52 pm

mc_hawkings24

I was thinking of changing the caliper bracket to a steel one to stop the flex but only a thought for now. My friends have ap-six pots on a couple of cars and they have a solid pedal feel but the price of a few grand does reflect that. I have got the mintex pads to squeel when slowing down which is something the ones in my evo calipers didn't do but if they stop they stop.

Everythings pretty but much new now from master cylinder to braided lines but having the bigger m/c does help and should imagine with standard m/c the pedal would be alot lower.
Still i'm going to see if i can get a proper pressure cap for the reservoir and give it a bleed with my bleeder.

I'll keep the ds2500's for next years nurburg trip

Edit: you beat me to it mr b hehe and akebono 2 pots were going to be my next buy if i couldn't get the wilwoods working.

43 Re: wilwood midilite brakes spongy on Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:06 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Bigger MC is bonus when going 4pots and up .
AP's are indeed mad money, that why k-sport 6pots for the R are a good buy as way cheaper but basically same design, even rotors and calliper repair parts from ap fit the k-sport, they used a lot in Asia for Motorsport and track cars etc .

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum