Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » General Discusion » Gtir related Discussion » 10mm and 8mm gearbox cases

10mm and 8mm gearbox cases

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 10mm and 8mm gearbox cases on 28th September 2016, 10:40 am

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
Why are there gearbox cases with 8mm bolts to bolt the two parts of the cases and why are there some with 10mm holes? I've heard the 10mm ones are rarer (not sure if true)! And that the're supposed to be stronger (again don't know how true this is) I've done some research and can't seem to find anything. Only asking as I'm now using a case with the 10mm bolt holes.....

2 Re: 10mm and 8mm gearbox cases on 28th September 2016, 11:02 am

johnny gtir

The 10mm were later casings released by Nissan but don't know much more. Don't suppose it matters could have a non stressed 8 vs a stressed 10 no way of telling by looking how the metal particles are. I will be looking into freezing treatments etc when I build mine

Both boxes ran on big power /torque cars so personally either works

3 Re: 10mm and 8mm gearbox cases on 28th September 2016, 12:02 pm

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
I was just wondering if there were any other revisions to the casing I.e thickness or strengthening etc

4 Re: 10mm and 8mm gearbox cases on 28th September 2016, 2:49 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
I mentioned this in the threads & asked if one of yours was later casing .
From what I read & seen the later case has slightly thicker walls & ribbing sections  plus bigger casing bolts for less potential flex .
They did 4 revisions on casing apparently, would like know what exactly was changed & order of changes but I don't :-(
compare the 2 before fitting & from any images you got during box build up .
bit of luck spare was later revision . hopefully works out well for you pete, best wishes .

Be carefully fitting stratcher brace as adding way too much load to end nose of casing will stress casing & alter mainshaft preload considerably .

5 Re: 10mm and 8mm gearbox cases on 28th September 2016, 4:39 pm

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
I'm hoping that it's a stronger case and before I fit it I'll check them to see if there's any notable differences. Yes the brace....ill be doing the run in without the brace but obviously won't be putting my foot down until the brace is fitted, and I'll learn from my mistakes and make sure the brace is fitting correctly and not over tightened etc

6 Re: 10mm and 8mm gearbox cases on 28th September 2016, 6:24 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Your 10mm bolt casing should be better than the 8mm, it always favorable to build on later case if can so that worked out well .
Stratcher brace is potentially good but I think need precise skilled welding be excellent, thick build up of matting & resin around nose & end packed with resin/swarf with a thick steel or alloy plate bolted on end works, was done on bluebirds, russians, kiwis & oz boys done this & also brace idea similar to stratcher, his just a more precise fit evolution of the early ones, is a thread on here with some pics of early brace ideas .
Have fun building up some break-in miles, will be nice be back in a mans car and shot of that old faggy honda :-)
When you here her running & feel the potential of the car again the cash & hassle will seem worth it .
Expect you fitted it faster than I typed this lol . have fun with your new cogs ...

7 Re: 10mm and 8mm gearbox cases on 28th September 2016, 7:36 pm

johnny gtir

If all goes wrong and you break the car you know where I am ha ha

8 Re: 10mm and 8mm gearbox cases on 28th September 2016, 8:25 pm

gtir_woody

It would be cool to eventually find out what difference is in the 4 revisions of casing. I'm sure bob has enough gearboxs he can start stripping Laughing

When I got mine rebuilt, I had 2 gearboxs with the different size holes without realising. The builder just happened to use the 8mm one.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum