Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Tech room » Help and Advice » CRB or something else?

CRB or something else?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 CRB or something else? on 8th November 2016, 8:03 pm

mike74

Evening chaps,

Right, ever since I got my car I've always thought the clutch release bearing was a little noisy. Not excessively so but you could hear a whirring type noise when driving which went away when you pressed the clutch in. I was prepared to live with it until it got worse as it didn't seem to affect anything. Tonight however it got noisier for a bit, definitely a louder, higher pitched whirring than usual accompanied with slightly heavier gear changes; nae good to drive! Does this sound like it's my CRB on the way out or could it be something else like the input bearing or...? FWIW I had the clutch master cylinder changed a few weeks ago and it seems to have gotten worse since then. Also the pedal action feels a bit worse than usual too Sad

Thanks in advance guys,

Mike

Last edited by mike74 on 8th November 2016, 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Unknown fuck up)

2 Re: CRB or something else? on 8th November 2016, 9:39 pm

Cosmic73

When you press the clutch in it puts maximum load on the CRB so i would expect noise to increase not dissapear if that bearing was faulty,

Is it a gear whine type sound? Eg Sounds the same as reverse?
If so, it sounds like an input bearing. Noise disappears when you press the clutch in because load is taken off those bearings.
Only one way to find tho. Very Happy

3 Re: CRB or something else? on 8th November 2016, 9:50 pm

Stu

Admin
Admin
Yeah its the classic symptoms of the input shaft bearings.
My first pulsar had it and after living with it for a while it finally gave up and I was then stuck in 2nd gear lol

4 Re: CRB or something else? on 8th November 2016, 10:05 pm

mike74

It sounds like a rattly, loose bearing kind of sound rather than whining. Definitely doesn't sound like reverse gear anyway. IF it was the input bearing(s?) is that difficult or expensive to fix if the box was off? I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to replace the whole clutch and clutch fork regardless as the box will have to come off to find the issue. Just not sure what else to expect other than that...
Cheers for the input guys Smile

5 Re: CRB or something else? on 8th November 2016, 10:32 pm

Cosmic73

Pucka input bearing from Nissan dealer will be about £30.
The rest is labour from splitting the box, disassembling shaft assembly etc.
Probably be looking at a days labour with right tools, skills etc.
That's assuming no other parts look on the way out.
Fingers crossed its the CRB, Very Happy

6 Re: CRB or something else? on 8th November 2016, 10:46 pm

mike74

Yeah, really hoping it's just the CRB now. I'll see if my local garage can open it up and tell me what's wrong with it asap. Has anyone tried competition clutches 1200 series clutch before? Was thinking that if I'm replacing the clutch anyway, it would be downright rude to put something crap in it and would mean it's ready for more power. Also, does Bob still do the uprated clutch forks?
Cheers guys Very Happy

7 Re: CRB or something else? on 9th November 2016, 9:20 am

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
Take it form me, take it to some one who knows what there really doing with gearboxes, not some numptys like I made the mistake of! Other wise it may come back in a worse state than it went in!

8 Re: CRB or something else? on 9th November 2016, 10:17 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Release bearings tend sound a scuffy light rattly sort of sound & sometimes can get better when loaded as takes play out of them .
Box bearings have a deeper rumbling to them.
Is easy normally draw a conclusion by revving car then press down on clutch, if bearing noise can be heard decelerating to stationary it box related .
CC clutches are good for cost, I had no issue with twin plate in evo & have used 6puk sprung stage 4 (quite heavy peddle) and 8pad stage 3 on R's with no issue, stage 3 CC being current one in use daily .
If do clutch, skim or replace flywheel, don't put ceramic pad clutches on used fly's regardless how good they look .
Buy release bearing from bearing shop or Blueprint as get quility oem ntn bearing that way and cheap .
If you can weld you can plate your own fork (plate in the back u channel and on back of ball recess) , guide on here or google .

9 Re: CRB or something else? on 9th November 2016, 10:53 am

mike74

"Release bearings tend sound a scuffy light rattly sort of sound & sometimes can get better when loaded as takes play out of them" pretty much sums mine up to a tee. A dry, loose bearing rattly whirry kinda sound that disappears when clutch is pressed Laughing
I'll try that decelerating trick when I get home tonight as I've not done that yet so thanks Mr B.
@ Partypete when I had the box/transfer box done on my last one it went off to a local guy that was very good (although took a while). I certainly won't get it done cheaply as I don't want to be doing this again in a years time  Sad
I'm currently drawing up a list of bits I think I'll need, assuming its just the clutch/CRB that needs doing. So far got the stage 2 (or maybe 3) CC clutch kit, an uprated pivot and a new standard fork just waiting to order now. Will have a poke about here to find the fork uprating thread.
Spoke to the garage a little while ago so I should know whats wrong by the end of the week all being well so will update when I find out, cheers again guys  Smile

10 Re: CRB or something else? on 9th November 2016, 11:34 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
^
heres a pdf with pics (neat way do it)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Ub2apq5-pfOUc1b21iUk1qSTg/view?usp=sharing

heres some topics on it
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t4293-reinforcing-clutch-fork

I would only change pivot ball if nose of it worn, driftworks do them for you uk guys
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t2972p15-help-help-help-best-place-to-find-clutch-ball-pivot

How you do my test kind of depends how you here noise, if here it in neutral it easy do parked up.
If only driving then find safe bit of road do some tests.
input bearing will do it in neutral as input still driven unless clutch depressed .
Diff bearings quite common be bad and only here them when moving, best way test in depth is on a ramp or stands and with stethoscope .
Your description sounds likely a dry old worn release bearing and would be nice as cheap and easy .
Normally with release you can make it change noise by pressing pedal on/off very slight amounts thus pushing it against clutch cover under various light load .

11 Re: CRB or something else? on 9th November 2016, 12:01 pm

mike74

Thanks for the links Mr B. I had a look at driftworks but they no longer sell them now.
However, this link suggests that one pivot fits a number of nissans:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nismo-Clutch-Pivot-Ball-for-SR20-CA18-S13-S14-S15-RB20-GTIR-/360104584964?hash=item53d7e7e704:m:mezdeOB2_C5L__ge2OKV7vw
and this link is where I think i'll buy from:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/conceptua-tuning/_i.html?_nkw=pivot&submit=Search&_sid=216314002

12 Re: CRB or something else? on 9th November 2016, 2:38 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Yeh just buy the 200sx one, used on load of models from 300zx to d21 pickup
oem number is 3053703E00 I think.

13 Re: CRB or something else? on 9th November 2016, 5:56 pm

mike74

I dropped the car off at the garage and tried that trick Mr B but am still not sure. I [i]think[i] the noise went away but can't be 100%. Will just have to wait and find out Sad

14 Re: CRB or something else? on 10th November 2016, 2:48 pm

mike74

Good and bad news just received from garage. Apparently it needs the clutch replaced (good news, not the box!)
Bad news its going to cost £1093 for parts and labour Shocked

15 Re: CRB or something else? on 10th November 2016, 4:17 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
That a bit extreme
CC clutch and ntn bearing less than £400, skimming fly if any good £40
Does take a while if not use to working on an R and previous poor spannering can cause hassle .

16 Re: CRB or something else? on 10th November 2016, 4:29 pm

mike74

They reckoned on 13 hours labour with about 300 quid in bits Sad
But it's not the box!!!!!!! Very Happy

17 Re: CRB or something else? on 10th November 2016, 5:02 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Parts will be over £300
Don't skimp on parts and choose clutch kit wisely plus use only ntn release bearing as don't want be going in again,flywheel has to be refaced at minimum, many can't be arsed with that as means trip to machine shop and more down time .
13hrs labour means they ain't done one before. tidy well finished job takes bit of time but it pretty easy do like normal front wheel drive in 8hrs easily on a ramp and good tools at hand even if not overly R experienced . some experienced guys would do it in 4 to 5 hrs .

18 Re: CRB or something else? on 10th November 2016, 8:21 pm

mike74

That's the thing, I don't think there's anywhere left up here that I would class as experts in Japanese sports cars. This garage I'm putting it to won't do a bad job but are just unfamiliar with gtir's so are probably just covering themselves. In fact it's probably the computer that's saying 13 hours. They'll definitely do it quicker than me anyway

19 Re: CRB or something else? on 10th November 2016, 8:22 pm

mike74

Oh and will check on the bearing before it gets delivered to garage too.
Many thanks to all for the advice, much appreciated

20 Re: CRB or something else? on 11th November 2016, 6:57 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
As long as they do good job as that main thing. Should do it under quoted time easily even if few hang ups as not much different to pulling a fwd box once remove transfer and I expect your y bracket already gone so makes life easier .

21 Re: CRB or something else? on 11th November 2016, 8:16 am

mike74

Y bracket still there unfortunately...but not for much longer!

22 Re: CRB or something else? on 11th November 2016, 8:23 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
haha that will slow them down a bit :-)
keep the Y bracket as it a collectors item now lol :-D

23 Re: CRB or something else? on 14th November 2016, 9:32 pm

mike74

Ok, so got the clutch kit today and its got a Japanese 'mrk' release bearing...anyone heard of them before?

24 Re: CRB or something else? on 14th November 2016, 9:42 pm

Cosmic73

While the gearbox is out, have you tried turning it by hand just to definitely rule out the box bearings?

25 Re: CRB or something else? on 14th November 2016, 10:24 pm

mike74

The garage haven't started stripping it yet as I've been waiting for bits. I'lll ask them to check the box while it's out though Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum