Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Tech room » Help and Advice » Turbo cracks

Turbo cracks

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Turbo cracks on 30th December 2016, 5:32 pm

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club

Right!! Turbo is off, and I have these cracks around the waste gate, I know they do crack around there, should I weld these up? Do they look bad to you guys? The hot side won't come off so going to get some heat on it tomorrow and hopefully that will persuade it off.

Thinking of having a go at rebuilding it myself and then having it balanced! I've got to try and save money where I can, and will be good to learn!
Any body able to link me to rebuild kits for the gt3071s? Only ones I've found so far are from America. anyone?

2 Re: Turbo cracks on 30th December 2016, 7:28 pm

pulsarmoley

I would say the housing is goosed as those cracks look pretty big but id wait for an experts opinion...

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

3 Re: Turbo cracks on 30th December 2016, 7:38 pm

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
Great, I ain't buying a new housing so it's weld them up or nothing

4 Re: Turbo cracks on 30th December 2016, 8:22 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Try turborebuild blackpool they will be able to sort you out pete with a rebuild kit and also balancing .... last time i checked it was 50quid for the balancing and a tenner for postage back ....

5 Re: Turbo cracks on 30th December 2016, 8:41 pm

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
Cheers nomad! Already checked them out and they do look good! Speaking to a guy from near me that works for a big name turbo company, he's gonna take a look for me and go from there

6 Re: Turbo cracks on 30th December 2016, 9:13 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Judging by your snapchat it defo sounded fooked ..... sounds like you have it inhand with your mate anyhow thumbsup

7 Re: Turbo cracks on 31st December 2016, 4:07 pm

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club

Well the turbine looks good but the hot side is shafted so going to need to be replaced

8 Re: Turbo cracks on 12th January 2017, 5:47 pm

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
Well the turbo has been rebuilt by midlands turbo with an uprated brass cage, they have done a what looks like a great job, even repainted the whole lot, looks brand new! And I've finally managed to find a housing from a company in Germany brand new, all together it's cost me £550.....gulp Sad

9 Re: Turbo cracks on 12th January 2017, 7:20 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
If thats all in with new housing and a rebuild that aint to bad pete thumbsup

10 Re: Turbo cracks on 12th January 2017, 8:26 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
turbo work rarely cheap, good to get rid of the plastic caged bearing, Garrett are shoddy fookers ...

11 Re: Turbo cracks on 12th January 2017, 9:14 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
I never understand why they still continue to supply them like it when they are common to failure you would think they would just use the metal cage to begin with scratch

12 Re: Turbo cracks on 12th January 2017, 9:46 pm

johnny gtir

Other companies make to much money selling and doing upgrades bits and builds. garret claim it's because you push the turbo to hard and heat melts them

13 Re: Turbo cracks on 12th January 2017, 9:47 pm

Gostek

Events Organiser
Events Organiser
But wasn't this sorted with gtx series?? I'm quite sure gtx got ceramic/brass bearings

14 Re: Turbo cracks on 12th January 2017, 9:51 pm

johnny gtir

Not sure mate thought it was a blade design and material change. Not sure on the bearings

15 Re: Turbo cracks on 12th January 2017, 9:58 pm

Gostek

Events Organiser
Events Organiser
"Upgrading it to a Garrett GTX CHRA would be perfect as that comes with a billet wheel and bronze ball bearing carriers"

I was asking midlands turbos about upgrading to brass bearings and billet compressor got this answer ...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum