Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » General Discusion » Gtir related Discussion » Meister coilovers

Meister coilovers

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Meister coilovers on 12th July 2017, 9:42 pm

GTIRSI

Events Organiser
Events Organiser
Has anyone used them or thinking about buying a set, they are the crd range & cost £780 so similar to bc price wise.
I want something that's as comfortable as stock but with the option to firm it up with the dampening

2 Re: Meister coilovers on 12th July 2017, 9:57 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
If you want comfortable as stock and do mainly road driving stick to standard style strut and spring in something decent like used ohlins gabs or new bilstein inserts and custom springs, All the taiwan coilover kits are pretty poor for B road driving and don't give the R the handling improvements it needs for safe fast road use .

3 Re: Meister coilovers on 12th July 2017, 10:08 pm

GTIRSI

Events Organiser
Events Organiser
The problem is I can't find anything new over here, kyb would be a good option but shipping is really expensive from what I can tell then no choice of springs, maybe custom made stock & that would also be costly!!!
I have standard shocks but there 25 yr old now

4 Re: Meister coilovers on 12th July 2017, 10:41 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
springcoil in uk will make springs to suite at about £60 a corner. You better off putting inserts in 50mm strut bodies over any of the short stroke cheap valved coilover stuff, I tried a lot of suspensions and in real world daily driving these coilover kits are a major road safety risk .
Handling on the R is piss poor from factory and proper job here can see massive gains but it got be custom effort really as only good stuff off shelf was GAB Ohlins KYB and they all 2 decades old and hard find worth buying used sets. Ohlins GAB and JIC was about best of off shelf I had chance try, others including leda which I had supply donor struts for bracket plates were under performers for the cost. R likes good amount of strut stroke also needs proper decent valving to get the tyre contact and comfort and none of the taiwan stuff does it in my experience and I wasted a few grand and massive amount of time on struts/springs finding out .

5 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 8:01 am

mike74

These guys do springs. They say "Specifications can be customised" so should be able to sort you out.
http://www.mjpshop.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=161&product_id=503

front right KYB shock:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYB-Shock-Absorber-Fit-with-NISSAN-SUNNY-Front-Right-333091/322098002330?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
front left KYB shock:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYB-Shock-Absorber-Fit-with-NISSAN-SUNNY-Front-Left-333092/391449482569?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

This listing certainly lists both part numbers for the rear of the R but you'd have to double check with them...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-KAYABA-334045-SHOCK-ABSORBERS-PAIR-SHOCKER-OE-QUALITY-/282513653716?epid=1020370483&hash=item41c7203fd4:g:dLkAAOSwq1JZN8p8

these are the part numbers for the rear shocks:

Rear
Kyb 339001 R
Nissan
5530269C00 5530269C25

Kyb 339002 L
Nissan
5530369C00 5530369C25

HTH Smile

6 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 11:33 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
The rear shocks are hard match as have drop link mounts different location and also strut body and rod way chunkier on the R .
Front shocks same physical design as most other n14 n15 and almera gti seems a good option for kyb excel-g route ...
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t6989-front-shock-compatability

7 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 4:48 pm

GTIRSI

Events Organiser
Events Organiser
Stock Nissan units are discontinued from what I have been told,
The kyb could be a option then with custom spring made!!
The rep for meister did say that there coilover's had a full 6inch travel on the rear & 5inch on the front so would have a better ride than any other on the market!!!
I don't know enough about meister but from what I can find they have fairly good reviews.

8 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 4:57 pm

Ricks1983

Also you've got the option of popping into eibach, they have a warehouse literally round the corner from you si in broughton astley

9 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 5:18 pm

GTIRSI

Events Organiser
Events Organiser
Yeah that's a good point could be worth going in & see what they say, thanks Ric bounce

10 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 5:28 pm

typeritr

This thread came in at a good time for me. Some good info here as I plan on buying all new shocks and springs for my own car. Will probably go with them KYB shocks. I was on the KYB website and there are 2 different sets of front shocks available for the N15. 253mm or 223mm. What would people think is the better option?

Also was there any solution found for the rear shocks? Would be good to know.
IS there a big difference between the GTI and GTI-R rear shocks?

Finally with regard springs, I will go for custom springs off that website listed above. What spring rates / mm would people recommend? It would only be on a road car.

11 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 9:11 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
rears are tricky as is no exact physical match (bolt in but swaybar link mount positions and strut diameters vary), closest is 4wd n14 but that limited market availability. As for springs, something like the whiteline would be good spec for starting figures .
I would also check option of oem new through known good nissan dealer or part supplier in japan.
going back 7yrs you could get all 4 new oem bare struts for £500 .

Last edited by Mr B on 13th July 2017, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

12 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 9:13 pm

mike74

AFAIK the gti and gtir rear shocks don't mix. Something to do with the bottoms of the gti shocks hitting the cv joint. If you could take a rear one off and maybe take a couple of sizes and maybe a picture then perhaps the folk in the ebay link i posted could confirm if they fit or not. The spring supplier I linked said they can make custom springs so I can only assume they know what the standard springs specs are to begin with...only one way to find out

13 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 10:07 pm

Gostek

Events Organiser
Events Organiser
20141009_135550_Android

I collect random pictures ans found this one somewhere. I'll pop over tomorrow to my local supplier ask them if they can get those (they supply kyb so worth a shot)

14 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 10:15 pm

typeritr

I might try Nissan for the rear shocks, see if they have any. I will report back.
A set of front KYB shocks are about £70. Springs from that MJP shop are £210. That is £280 so far.
If a good set of rear shocks are available for even 100 per side you are getting a full new set up for less than £500 which is not too bad really. However coil overs are about 700 so only 200 in the difference.
With custom springs and shocks known to be good quality, I don't think you could go too far wrong with the non coilover set up really.

This is the setup I would go for
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t1363-very-good-all-round-setup
1.3 degrees camber front
0.55 degree camber rear
1.5 degree caster Front

Last edited by typeritr on 13th July 2017, 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

15 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 10:18 pm

typeritr

Found these

https://www.rhdjapan.com/kyb-new-sr-special-rear-strut-shock-absorber-suspension-pulsar-rnn14.html

I know from other sites I am on the Meister R seem to have a very good reputation. I would be hapy enough with them if i was going for a new coilover setup

Last edited by typeritr on 13th July 2017, 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

16 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 10:20 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
@Gostek wrote:20141009_135550_Android

I collect random pictures ans found this one somewhere. I'll pop over tomorrow to my local supplier ask them if they can get those (they supply kyb so worth a shot)

once again rear ones no good really... guy who bought those sent them back, I remember thread as turned into an argument lol .

17 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 10:33 pm

Gostek

Events Organiser
Events Organiser
Oh ok I'll just ask for front ones

18 Re: Meister coilovers on 13th July 2017, 10:44 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
@typeritr wrote:I might try Nissan for the rear shocks, see if they have any. I will report back.
A set of front KYB shocks are about £70. Springs from that MJP shop are £210. That is £280 so far.
If a good set of rear shocks are available for even 100 per side you are getting a full new set up for less than £500 which is not too bad really. However coil overs are about 700 so only 200 in the difference.
With custom springs and shocks known to be good quality, I don't think you could go too far wrong with the non coilover set up really.

This is the setup I would go for
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t1363-very-good-all-round-setup
1.3 degrees camber front
0.55 degree camber rear
1.5 degree caster Front

you can use camber bolts but for front you would want something extra decent like k-mac ones or go DIY and salvage the camber bolt from subaru front struts and mod mounting hole to work with them .
decent quality brand 12mm camber bolt kits work fine on rear but not safe on front in my opinion, can slip out alignment on front too .

19 Re: Meister coilovers on 14th July 2017, 7:59 am

mike74

Now here's a question for you Mr B, can you fit camber plates (eg Cusco or Tein) to standard shocks at the front?

I'm pretty happy with the standard suspension characteristics for the "roads" we've got up here but the only thing I might want to alter is the camber slightly. I'm running 17" wheels and feel the fronts are scrubbing out a little on hard cornering; something a little more camber might sort Very Happy

I've already been down the BC coilover route and definitely wouldn't do that to a road R again hence, the el boggo suspension.

20 Re: Meister coilovers on 14th July 2017, 11:28 am

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Not properly without some custom components to work with standard size spring hat and allow for ride height increase over oem mounts.
other issue is with standard diameter springs you run into clearance limitations on adjustment due to larger diameter oem spring and spring seats within strut tower . quite easy mod standard strut to 65mm ID long length coils and custom sring hats, add decent inserts to the struts and you get something good for use but prices escalate unless can do lot of custom fab yourself or through a friend etc.
Subaru camber bolt mod is easy way get camber mod on front that reliable and cheap (get bolts from salvage yard for pennies really) .

21 Re: Meister coilovers on 14th July 2017, 11:38 am

mike74

ah b@lls, I hadn't thought about the spring diameter limiting camber, good point!
looks like its camber bolts for me then Very Happy
cheers Mr B, much appreciated

22 Re: Meister coilovers on 14th July 2017, 2:16 pm

typeritr

23 Re: Meister coilovers on 14th July 2017, 3:00 pm

mike74

those Nissan numbers certainly match the ones I've got a note of here...although god knows how much they'd be after shipping and import duty! Shocked

24 Re: Meister coilovers on 14th July 2017, 3:19 pm

typeritr

@mike74 wrote:those Nissan numbers certainly match the ones I've got a note of here...although god knows how much they'd be after shipping and import duty! Shocked

Yeah not looking good is it. A lot of aftermarket sites you can search by the OEM number. That's what I'm going to do. See what I can find

25 Re: Meister coilovers on 14th July 2017, 5:39 pm

johnny gtir

If you go down the Meister r route give me a shout as might can get a word put in see if discount comes from it

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum