Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Gallery » Projects » My horrific rust repair project

My horrific rust repair project

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 My horrific rust repair project on 7th April 2018, 9:34 am

Ryaneg6freak

So, after poking around my '91 RA, I discovered some serious rot in the RR turret area where the inner and out wheel houses are welded to and separated by the inner body shell. In the wheel well there's normally seam sealer that keeps water from getting up in there, but after 25 years it all turned to rock and fell out, and a lot of moisture got up in the seam and rotted everything the hell out. (Car was in Canada for a decade before I got a hold of it).

Weird thing is that it's literally the only spot on the car with any rust, the rest of it is spotless. I've toyed with the idea of stripping it to the bare shell, having it acid dipped and redoing the whole thing, but I don't have a rotisserie that I'd need to properly complete the job, so I'm just going to focus on rebuilding the rusted area and working/blending that into the existing shell. Here's what I have done so far:

This is before I started, after drilling out spot welds to remove what was left of the turret skin, then I had to cut out the rusty areas of the body shell and replace with new welded in patch panels so I'd have something to even weld to, and then reattaching the turret skin and patching it back together with some fabricated pieces. I almost got it finished but had to pack it in and head back to Africa for another 4-5 months.

2 Re: My horrific rust repair project on 7th April 2018, 9:45 am

Ryaneg6freak

Here’s what I started with

3 Re: My horrific rust repair project on 7th April 2018, 12:58 pm

johnny gtir

Someone’s been busy good on you

4 Re: My horrific rust repair project on 7th April 2018, 1:09 pm

Ryaneg6freak

I would have finished it but didn’t get time before I had to ship out again

5 Re: My horrific rust repair project on 7th April 2018, 1:39 pm

johnny gtir

Time waits for no one mate I know the feeling. Least you stated

6 Re: My horrific rust repair project on 7th April 2018, 4:58 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Catch 22 of working in Africa. I have good money to spend on my car but no time to do anything lol

7 Re: My horrific rust repair project on 7th April 2018, 5:25 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
Great bit of fab work mate thumbsup

8 Re: My horrific rust repair project on 8th April 2018, 5:19 am

gtir_woody

Looks like a good repair job, must be difficult to find the time to work on it. Just keep tucking that money away and the R will eventually find a way for you to spent it Laughing

9 Re: My horrific rust repair project on 8th April 2018, 7:29 am

Ryaneg6freak

This damn thing will be 30 years old by the time I get to drive it hahahahahahaha

10 Re: My horrific rust repair project on 10th April 2018, 7:30 pm

PartyPete

the one star club
the one star club
Impressive stuff! Mine comes off the road next month and I'm going to do a full strip down and resto.....can't wait to see what little surprises wait for me Sad

11 Re: My horrific rust repair project on 10th April 2018, 7:31 pm

johnny gtir

Why you not put your videos on here me Pete

12 Re: My horrific rust repair project on 31st July 2018, 10:21 am

Ryaneg6freak

I was just home, but had to pack up and move 4 states away, so I didn't get time to work on it at all damn it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum