Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » General Discusion » Gtir related Discussion » New suspension has transformed the car

New suspension has transformed the car

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 New suspension has transformed the car on 17th May 2018, 10:04 pm

ROB_IOW

the two star club
the two star club
So I had the R mapped last year at 400bhp and ive never felt safe  using the power so been driving it on low boost (350bhp)  .
And even at that it's all over the road on hard acceleration.
But that's because it was fairly standard suspension it had new standard  front shocks and gab rally rears .

Got some brand new BC  coil overs from jonny  2 weeks ago .
I fitted them the other day and all also fitted my whiteline 4point under body brace .

Set the ride height yesterday ( my god what a chore that is getting it right )
Had the geometry set up and got them to set  -1.3 camber .

Well fuck me it handles so well now its unreal .
Turns in lovely and just has endless amounts of grip .

Suppose it's all come together  nicely .

Suspension spec is
BC coil overs  all round set on softest on front and 10 clicks on rear
Cusco strut braces front and rear
White line anti dive kit
White line 4point under body brace
Seam welded front arms
White line anti roll bars
Fully poly bushed
Yokohama parada spec 2  in  215/40/17

I also had the wheels redone and now I think looks the nuts

2 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 18th May 2018, 6:47 am

gtir_woody

Awesome mate, what spring rates are you using?

3 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 18th May 2018, 7:57 am

mike74

that looks frikkin sweet mate!

I found the BC's I had on my last R were just too stiff and crashy. I'm currently rocking standard springs and shocks and much prefer the way it handles the "roads" up here. Probably different spring rates to what you have though...

slightly off topic but, what are those vents on the side of the front bumper off? I like them Very Happy

4 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 18th May 2018, 12:02 pm

ROB_IOW

the two star club
the two star club
Spring rates are 5kg and 4kg and 3mm of pre load on springs .

The vents are from the rear 1/4 of a Nissan bluebird hatchback

5 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 18th May 2018, 1:19 pm

mike74

aaaaah, I thought they looked vaguely familiar!

6 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 18th May 2018, 1:55 pm

toaster55

Cars looking great rob! ????

7 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 19th May 2018, 8:02 am

Ryaneg6freak

I have the Whiteline under body brace, but I had to take it off. Even with my ride height set pretty high, I was hitting it on the asphalt all the time and now half of the bottom of it is ground away lol.

8 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 19th May 2018, 3:25 pm

pulsarmoley

Car looks really good thumbsup

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

9 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 19th May 2018, 8:09 pm

shroom

Looking good mate liking the highlights on the tyres will do my toyos as looks cool.glad the handling is sorted need to sort mine out too the 25th anniversary at Rockingham was scary with the gab and stock fronts haha

10 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 21st May 2018, 11:40 pm

boyciegtir325

I have BC Coilovers, where do I find the spring rating please ? Thx.

11 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 22nd May 2018, 2:20 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
What do you mean like stamped on the coils themselves ?

12 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 22nd May 2018, 6:27 pm

boyciegtir325

yes I presume so ? My coilovers are a bit too stiff for me, at 54 yrs old I'm looking for a bit of comfort !!! lol. I'm presuming the springs can be changed over for softer ones but I don't know ???

13 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 22nd May 2018, 6:34 pm

ROB_IOW

the two star club
the two star club
Have you checked how much preload is on the springs . You only need about 3mm

14 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 22nd May 2018, 6:36 pm

boyciegtir325

TBH I wouldn't have a clue how to do it, just turned the dials to the softest setting !

15 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 23rd May 2018, 3:36 am

splmum

@boyciegtir325 wrote:yes I presume so ? My coilovers are a bit too stiff for me, at 54 yrs old I'm looking for a bit of comfort !!! lol. I'm presuming the springs can be changed over for softer ones but I don't know ???
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, 54, just a boy.
I run coilovers on both my R's.
R1 (Red) = 8kg front and 5kg rear set at 17/36 adjustment on the dampers (just right), fitted with 17" wheels and 205/40 tyres, and
R2 (Black) = 7kg front and 5kg rear set at 12/24 adjustment on the dampers (bit harsh - could be dampers need service), fitted with 15" wheels and 205/50 tyres.
LOVE THEM both and that is driving on Australian 'cattle tracks' that they make the excuse and call them roads.

16 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 23rd May 2018, 3:36 pm

johnny gtir

@boyciegtir325 wrote:yes I presume so ? My coilovers are a bit too stiff for me, at 54 yrs old I'm looking for a bit of comfort !!! lol. I'm presuming the springs can be changed over for softer ones but I don't know ???

Sure it’s nearly cheaper to get new and spec rate than it is to get springs off them  ( sure I heard this more than once but was a while ago) BC that is

17 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 23rd May 2018, 9:13 pm

nomad

Admin
Admin
They are around 30quid each Johnny I just looked it up mate .

18 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 23rd May 2018, 9:48 pm

gtir_woody

@splmum wrote:that is driving on Australian 'cattle tracks' that they make the excuse and call them roads.

That made me laugh, so true! for you guys across the pond not all our roads are like that Laughing

19 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 23rd May 2018, 10:53 pm

boyciegtir325

new springs is something I may look into at a later date, or just a complete change - dunno.

Splmum, I just can't imagine driving over a cattle grid in my R, reckon the windows would fall out !!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

20 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 24th May 2018, 7:02 am

Ryaneg6freak

New springs are easily had from BC, and if you're gonna bother changing them, upgrade to Swift springs (they stock them in any spring rate you wish).

I had the BC BR coilovers, I don't care for them, because they're linearly damped. The next higher up model they have (the DR series) has digressive damping and is a far better suspension, it's worth spending the few extra hundred to run them.  
That being said,
I upgraded to Feal, simply because they have more travel than all the rest and that's something the R desperately needs.

21 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 24th May 2018, 7:16 am

johnny gtir

@nomad wrote:They are around 30quid each Johnny I just looked it up mate .
it was a while back mate must of brought them down or I am wrong but it was a couple of year back and they were around £500 and springs worked out at over half hence people saying make sure you spec the springs and not standard or it’s a expensive mistake

22 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 24th May 2018, 12:28 pm

GTI-R US

Management
Management
The springs are around £140 a set so definately cheaper than buying new set of coilovers.
Also i dont know whether people realise this but when they purchase a set of BC's you can also specify the strut length at no extra cost! So you can have extended travel on the telescopic strut.

if the car is used for lets say rallying, rallycross & many off road events, also Some sprint type events are very harsh on suspension where harsh turn is often the case which obviously puts the given corner under excessive load at a given time

I and others have found that the std strut lengths are fine for curcuit racing and general road use, however if you are competing in any of the type events ive listed above then you may need heavier graded springs and / or extended strut lengths or you can just preload the spring more which will make it more difficult for the damper to compress.

Hope that clears up a few points mentioned

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

23 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 24th May 2018, 8:40 pm

gtir_woody

@Ryaneg6freak wrote:New springs are easily had from BC, and if you're gonna bother changing them, upgrade to Swift springs (they stock them in any spring rate you wish).

I had the BC BR coilovers, I don't care for them, because they're linearly damped. The next higher up model they have (the DR series) has digressive damping and is a far better suspension, it's worth spending the few extra hundred to run them.  
That being said,
I upgraded to Feal, simply because they have more travel than all the rest and that's something the R desperately needs.

Thanks for that mate, I didn’t even know about the swift springs. For anyone wondering swift is not from the car lol

24 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 24th May 2018, 9:43 pm

Mr B

gtir technician
gtir technician
Would be good if BC will do longer stroke struts (actual stroke travel longer range), never offered it when I enquired few years back, stroke way too short for rougher roads or making most of softer springs/dual spring setup .

25 Re: New suspension has transformed the car on 25th May 2018, 9:44 am

johnny gtir

Never upset me I don’t forget ha ha

Just so you know I don’t talk sh*t all the time. It was 2014 the price for x4 springs was £180 plus delivery. The price of suspension was around the £500 mark and if rather than just bolting on the shocks you had to change the springs ( which quite a few don’t do there self so involves garage fee) hence me saying nearly cheaper to buy a new set ( not to mention a 4 wheel align cost for the second time so moonie

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum