Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » General Discusion » Gtir related Discussion » Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox

Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 15th July 2019, 9:53 pm

wingzerojm

wingzerojm
hey guys, so i was wondering, how different is the bluebird 79e engine and box VS the GTiR engine and box:

One obvious thing was of course the throttle body was different.

What parts are interchangeable?
What parts aren't interchangeable?
Can I buy a gtir clutch and drop in a 79e box?

Internet is now help, so have to ask the gurus in here to share their experiences. Any bit will help. Don't want to start getting engine stuff and then hearing this can't fit and that can't fit and all. Also, will the stracher brace fit on the 79e box??

Thanks.

2Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Re: Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 16th July 2019, 8:16 am

mike74

mike74
I'm not sure TBH but I do know that the 54c engine is different to every other SR20DET engine out there for a lot of things. The spacing between the ports on the head is different, the rod bearings are different and probably a whole bunch of other things too. Is the 79e an SR engine of some sort or a CA type (or something else)?
After having a look on wiki, the only one I can see that would be a pretty close match would be the U13 model.
this is stolen from wiki:
Several Japanese models included an All Wheel Drive version (ATTESA). The engines used in the Japanese models ranged greatly in capacity and type. The SSS Attesa LTD model used a "redtop" SR20DET with 210 PS (154 kW). This was a similar engine/drivetrain package to the more powerful one used in the Pulsar GTi-R. It had only a single throttle body as opposed the GTi-R's multiple throttle body, smaller bearings, hydraulic rather than solid lifters, and a smaller turbo. The GTi-R had a large top mount intercooler, while the SSS ATTESA LTD had a smaller front mount intercooler.

3Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Re: Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 16th July 2019, 10:53 am

wingzerojm

wingzerojm
@mike74 wrote:I'm not sure TBH but I do know that the 54c engine is different to every other SR20DET engine out there for a lot of things. The spacing between the ports on the head is different, the rod bearings are different and probably a whole bunch of other things too. Is the 79e an SR engine of some sort or a CA type (or something else)?
After having a look on wiki, the only one I can see that would be a pretty close match would be the U13 model.
this is stolen from wiki:
Several Japanese models included an All Wheel Drive version (ATTESA). The engines used in the Japanese models ranged greatly in capacity and type. The SSS Attesa LTD model used a "redtop" SR20DET with 210 PS (154 kW). This was a similar engine/drivetrain package to the more powerful one used in the Pulsar GTi-R. It had only a single throttle body as opposed the GTi-R's multiple throttle body, smaller bearings, hydraulic rather than solid lifters, and a smaller turbo. The GTi-R had a large top mount intercooler, while the SSS ATTESA LTD had a smaller front mount intercooler.

Yes, that's the exact engine i'm asking about; the 'red top' sr20det (79e) that came in the bluebird sss attessa. Would love to know anyone's experience with this engine; what potential it has, can i treat it the same as a 54c in terms of modification (turbo, psi, etc) and most importantly, the gearbox.

4Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Re: Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 16th July 2019, 2:56 pm

mike74

mike74
Going by the description, it sounds a lot more like an S14 engine than a GTIR.

AFAIK you can make an S14 engine fit into an R but its not a straight fit and not as strong as a 54c engine to begin with.

Is there a problem with your engine that you're looking into this swap?

5Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Re: Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 16th July 2019, 2:57 pm

mike74

mike74
ps - I've no idea about the brace!

6Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Re: Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 16th July 2019, 3:27 pm

wingzerojm

wingzerojm
@mike74 wrote:Going by the description, it sounds a lot more like an S14 engine than a GTIR.

AFAIK you can make an S14 engine fit into an R but its not a straight fit and not as strong as a 54c engine to begin with.

Is there a problem with your engine that you're looking into this swap?

Thing is i got the car with the 79e engine, so i'm looking to see how limited I will be with this current setup. And also what can fit from what can't fit; when searching for parts i see the title stating that it is specifically for the 54c engine, although that might be to deter silvia owners. I have in a good clutch and setup as is but what happens when i eventually need a new clutch. Gonna ask the previous owner some questions and hopefully also do a knowledge transfer here too Idea

7Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Re: Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 16th July 2019, 7:40 pm

mike74

mike74
It might be less hassle to fit a 54c engine and the correct gearbox. You might end up buying a pile of stuff in good faith that simply doesnt fit or work correctly otherwise. (Im sure every R owners experienced this issue)
Expensive yes, but at least youre then in the same madhouse as the rest of us trying to fix and source bits! Wink

8Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Re: Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 16th July 2019, 8:48 pm

wingzerojm

wingzerojm
@mike74 wrote:It might be less hassle to fit a 54c engine and the correct gearbox. You might end up buying a pile of stuff in good faith that simply doesnt fit or work correctly otherwise. (Im sure every R owners experienced this issue)
Expensive yes, but at least youre then in the same madhouse as the rest of us trying to fix and source bits! Wink

lol, well so far:

The gtir clutch and pressure plate will work

The silvia clutch will work but you have to use the gtir pressure plate

9Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Re: Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 16th July 2019, 9:06 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir
moderator
moderator
Good info keep us updated

10Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Re: Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 22nd July 2019, 10:47 pm

wingzerojm

wingzerojm
Side note: this doesn't work

Mevotech MEV322 Steering Tie Rod End

11Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Re: Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 23rd July 2019, 8:08 am

mike74

mike74
I'm pretty sure the R ones are a different thread size (M14?) to the normal sunny/pulsar ones (M12?).
The OE part number you need to reference is 48520-60Y25  

If you haven't already had a look, this web site is invaluable for finding the correct manufacturers part numbers to let you double check stuff before you buy it:

https://nissan.7zap.com/en/er/sunny/n14/23+9010+0/

Here's the page you need with the steering gear:

https://nissan.7zap.com/en/er/sunny/n14/23+9010+0/i/492/#49520KA

I've got this set up for RIGHT hand drive vehicles though so you may have to change the vehicle type, depending on what bits you're looking for  Smile

12Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Re: Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 23rd July 2019, 12:29 pm

wingzerojm

wingzerojm
@mike74 wrote:I'm pretty sure the R ones are a different thread size (M14?) to the normal sunny/pulsar ones (M12?).
The OE part number you need to reference is 48520-60Y25  

If you haven't already had a look, this web site is invaluable for finding the correct manufacturers part numbers to let you double check stuff before you buy it:

https://nissan.7zap.com/en/er/sunny/n14/23+9010+0/

Here's the page you need with the steering gear:

https://nissan.7zap.com/en/er/sunny/n14/23+9010+0/i/492/#49520KA

I've got this set up for RIGHT hand drive vehicles though so you may have to change the vehicle type, depending on what bits you're looking for  Smile

Thanks for that site, I also have a site that I use with the OEM part numbers, my problem is really availability of parts on my side of the world; some of my stuff I had to get from Dubai (reached rather fast by the way). If I had a trust worthy site I'd get those stuff from here...or even purchase from group members...

13Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Re: Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 23rd July 2019, 1:16 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician
Yeh lot of my oem parts come from UAE
The inner track rod arms 4852160Y05 show as available in UAE and not expensive, third price of source Japan direct for same oem part .
Inner ones also done by febest 0222-P11 and herth and buss J4841017
Is a few m16-m14 280mm inner arms that fit but ball end design and locking recess can differ on some as does overall length and cut thread length so easy get stuck crossing non direct part online rather than over a counter where can compare physically . lot of part databases list them wrong too as the nissan 4wd differs a little on lot of steering and suspension yet databases wrongly list it in same overall model series fwd parts .

14Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox Empty Re: Nissan 54c vs 79e engine and gbox on 23rd July 2019, 5:36 pm

wingzerojm

wingzerojm
@Mr B wrote:Yeh lot of my oem parts come from UAE
The inner track rod arms 4852160Y05 show as available in UAE and not expensive, third price of source Japan direct for same oem part .
Inner ones also done by febest 0222-P11 and herth and buss J4841017
Is a few m16-m14 280mm inner arms that fit but ball end design and locking recess can differ on some as does overall length and cut thread length so easy get stuck crossing non direct part online rather than over a counter where can compare physically . lot of part databases list them wrong too as the nissan 4wd differs a little on lot of steering and suspension yet databases wrongly list it in same overall model series fwd parts .

Where do u get parts tho, i have used https://partsouq.com/ and they good so far

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum