I have recently been doing some work on the Pulsar.
First off, I didnt like the fact that the Rad-Tech radiator did not have a bracket on the top to stop it from rubbing on the back of the intercooler. Apparently this is a common problem with the Mark 1 series of this kit. I had Retropower in Hinckley weld me a bracked onto it, and I also had a new nipple for the expanson tank welded on, as the original one had been snapped off, and the car was ran without an expansion tank fitted!?. I am really pleased with the outcome!
Whilst out for a drive a couple of weeks ago, I ended up pulling into a farmers field after the alternator seemed to pack up, and the old girl died. This was later confirmed when we got it back to the unit, and we tested the alternator. This seemed a bit suspect to me, as I have only just bought the car, and a couple of weeks before purchase, there is a receipt for a new battery for the car. Anyway, I have fitted a spare alternator today, and bloody hell does the car move now :-)! Before the alternator fault was found, I did notice that the car was somewhat laggy at times, and became a more common fault recently. I took the car out today, and it ran as sweet as a nut!
The next thing that has been changed is the stupid orange rocker cover and oil seperator tank. This was on the top of the list to get done, as I really did not like it at all! When I removed the rocker cover, I came across clear silicone sealant that had been used as a gasket!! I was not happy at all about this, and so cleaned it all off and had a good look around the cams etc to try and make sure that there wasnt any in there after removal. To top this off, the pipe from the bottom of the oil seperator was not connected correctly, and oil was everywhere. I have now resprayed the tank, and put new hoses on it.
After this was complete, I noticed that the strut brace had been tightened down onto the silver metal box in the top right of the photo, which had bent the base of the frame quite badly! I dont understand how someone would miss this, and just tighten it down and not realise that its not sitting correctly? Anyway, I have now corrected this, and thankfully it seems to be ok.
The rear seats that had been put in were not correctly installed, and the brackets that the upper parts of the seats slot into were not installed. I have since put all of the brackets in.
Next jobs are to remove the intercooler pipework, and get some new pipe fabricated up, and get rid of that ugly orange silicone hose. Get a new rear bumper off bob, and give the old girl a full service. I will also be getting the alloys refurbed, as they have been painted with a paintbrush by the looks of it!
All in all though, I am really enjoying the car now, as I have spent a few hours just generally getting to know how it drives, and tidying it up. Im looking forward to the rolling road day, and meeting up with whoever is going.
A few pics recently, just after I cleaned it: