the night I brought it home after buying it
All smiles until this happened the very next day
So with a little help from a friend I took the engine out shortly after
a better look at the damage
the con rod broke off the big end and also ripped the small end off the piston leaving it jammed in the head and the rod bent like a banana in the sump, which didn't really leave many salvageable parts
I then took a trip over to Bobs to pick up a new engine (really appreciate all the help and advice.)But obviously with the way my luck had gone so far something else was certain to come up and it turns out the turbo was also surplus to requirements so I also had to source a replacement one
looks like it ran pretty hot
in the short time I drove it I was pretty shocked at how pants the standard brakes are so I picked up a set of these along with some d2 coil overs
got it all back together over a few days and it started first turn of the key!!! was so happy but did have a few vacuum issues and it wouldn't idle properly, but at least it ran again. The car had never had paint except for one front wing and the front bumper and the 20 yr old paint was looking pretty shabby so I decided to treat her to a respray to try and get it looking its best again.
Really happy with the condition of the shell. Only one little bit of rust by one of the rear arches and when I got it up on the ramp the underneath is like new. Unfortunately this is how the car stayed for a while due to other commitments but it was all worth it because ive had a few free days recently and now she's looking like this
In the end I decided on trusty old A14 red just to keep it OEM and fresh looking. Not to sure weather the bumpers look good colour coded but I didn't have much choice because the black strips were in pretty bad condition, definitely glad I kept everything else plastic and didn't go ahead with painting the roof and bonnet black.
and that's pretty much as far as ive got till now. Few little things I need to sort out before she goes on the rollers, turbo oil line leak, new alternator nut, unseize rear calliper, fit new boost gauge and controller and all new vacuum lines, colour sand and polish, get new wheels and tyres and then its USABLE! Feels so good to actually see some progress.