Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Tech room » Help and Advice » front cover

front cover

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1front cover Empty front cover on 11th January 2016, 1:51 pm

hagger

Hello again can anyone tell me if its possible to put the front cover (oil pump) on after replacing the cylinder head.The reason is i would like to keep an eye on the timing marks (yellow link) for as long as possible,just to check it doesent jump a link. Many thanks

2front cover Empty Re: front cover on 11th January 2016, 9:15 pm

Bandyleg

Bandyleg
At a guess bud Id say not if you watch a few videos on You tube you should be able to make a decision, or better still do a dry run and let us know how you get on Smile

3front cover Empty Re: front cover on 11th January 2016, 10:05 pm

GTIR James

Yes. It is tight with a multi layer head gasket tho & you will be bettet off removing the two small dowels & installing aftet

4front cover Empty Re: front cover on 11th January 2016, 10:38 pm

hagger

Ok cheers i think i will do a dry run to see if it all fits.Thanks pulsar people ;-)

5front cover Empty Re: front cover on 12th January 2016, 8:27 am

johnboy

johnboy
I'd be interested to know why it matters where the chain is. I've never noticed a different link. Must be something I missed.  Can't you just set the cams in the right place when installing them whatever the position of the chain?

6front cover Empty Re: front cover on 12th January 2016, 10:03 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir
I think he is referencing the bright link

7front cover Empty Re: front cover on 29th April 2016, 8:28 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980
Did you fit the front cover after installing the head? Im doing mine tomorrow and thinking of doing it this way. I read on this site: http://forums.nicoclub.com/diy-rebuilding-an-sr20det-t309576.html he removed the oil pump drive to get it fitted.

Do you need to apply sealant to the top and bottom of the head gasket around the chaincover bit?

Gaz

8front cover Empty Re: front cover on 29th April 2016, 9:54 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician
I always do them with front cover on. Before dissemble I mark lines on cam sprockets & add better marks for crank so easier see all good, if you follow service manual on chain links etc it pretty easy set-up although could of been easier if sprockets had proper decent mating marks from factory.
Lots of debate on what do with HG sealing around chain housing lip.
a lot comes down to type of gasket used & what finish work done to block, if in doubt a very light smear bottom & top can be used, keep it very minimal & slightly away from inner edge as will go everywhere if too much & you don't want strands of sealer inside engine that could lead to trouble.
I've used it at times when HG or block bit worrying, used Apexi & Tomei on good finished blocks & heads without & never had an issue although the coating on those mls gaskets is above average.
If in doubt use a bit as better than having an oil weep, just do very light smear though as only trying fill any super slight surface imperfections in chain cover lip & meeting points to block.

9front cover Empty Re: front cover on 29th April 2016, 10:30 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980
Cheers Mr B, it's a standard head gasket, not had the block or head decked, they were in good condition cleaned up well. Although I did drop a wrench on the block today Shocked put a dent in it, thankfully not on a seal line!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum