Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gtir Motorsport club » Tech room » Help and Advice » Anyone recognise this car??

Anyone recognise this car??

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 8:00 pm

Bandyleg

Bandyleg
@johnny gtir wrote:There is but a lot are removed as not doing much. The other one you pointed out is just spare threaded area on plenum I think. And if that pipes off the car would be unlimited boost

As underlined above... sorry what have I missed.. The wire from the dizzy?

Unlimited boost could have caused the kangaroo juice and poor running then. That doesn't seem to explain the lack of knocking since re connecting though...

27Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 8:06 pm

wrc

wrc
Mate are you starting and running and revving and also driving this engine with its bottom end knock?

28Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 8:22 pm

shroom

shroom
@wrc wrote:Mate are you starting and running and revving and also driving this engine with its bottom end knock?

Lol I have already stressed this about 4 times ^^ if it is bottom end I wouldnt be doing any of the above as you could fuck everything.

Have you had a proper listen as to were it was coming from in the first place as no a missing boost pipe wouldnt cause a nocking noise it would just cause eratic boost or idle issues.

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

29Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 8:32 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir
If it's been drove for a while or hard like that with pipe off would cause Det. Don't worry about dizzy earth 95% of cars don't have them

30Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 8:39 pm

Bandyleg

Bandyleg
Nah I Haven't been driving and revving the poop out of it on a general basis.. Its parked up un used, yes I did take it round the block to see if the pipe had made a difference but that is it no vavavoom or boosting around it was a low rpm curb crawl as that was where all the kangaroos were, I ran the car to take it off the trailer when I got it home and parking it up.. I appreciate its not a clever thing running a knocking engine, the engine has a pretty standard what I would say is tapping noise.. the knocking I referred to was the reason the guy got rid of the car and I herd it the first day I had it but it is currently absent, it makes no sense hence why I asked the question about a pipe being off causing or contributing to a knocking..  

As much as I am a newbie to this car Im not a complete derrrrr whats spark plug Laughing

I have tried having a proper listen and honestly when its ticking over you cant hear sod all of it knocking.. Ive given it a little jab manually on the throttle from under the bonnet to try and hear it but no joy.. the only difference between then and now is that pipe..

cant fix it

31Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 8:46 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir
What injectors ticking. Tappets ?  Louder ? I was working over your way a while back but oppersit direction at the min and very busy but if you get stuck I will check the car tell you what's on it bore scope it and tell you any visual or knocking problems

32Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 8:48 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin
Pretty sure if it's bottom end knock you will hear it if you raise the rpm to 2500rpm on these engines. Or was it 3000rpm?
I forget now lol

33Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 8:55 pm

Bandyleg

Bandyleg
I would have said injector and possibly a touch of tappets, but to listen at the moment I don't think anyone would say it's knocking. Bore scoping would be helpful.
Spike has offered to come have a look over it as he is only a short drive from me, I don't think he will get to my spot if the snow carries on though. 3000 rpm would have been right on the edge of where I tested today as said it was low rpm where it was kangarooing.

34Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 9:42 pm

wrc

wrc
A bore scope won't help you.

If you raise the revs to 2.5 to 3k and then back off the throttle that's when the knock will be most noticeable. Put a video up and we will help you.

A bottom end knock is quite a noticible thing, from what I remember that's what the previous owner of your car stated was the problem and he was a clued up chap.

Just remember every revolution that crank takes the less metal you have to play with. It's easy to get the basics mate yes but I have also been here and paid the price.

35Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 10:10 pm

Bandyleg

Bandyleg
Thanks WRC, he didn't seem a daft guy bud he actually seemed a decent bloke, he was sound enough with me anyway. We spoke quite a bit about his cars and if he knows as much as I'm led to believe then i don't doubt it has an issue.. It just wouldn't add up that he would have it running that rough at low rpm.

Either way I will be rebuilding but I want to know it runs "Ok" first if that makes sense..
The initial point of this post was to find out if anyone knew the history of the car and could shed any light on what it may have had done.. if you know David then maybe you know a little history about my new red lady??

36Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 10:28 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir
@wrc wrote: A bore scope won't help you. 

If you raise the revs to 2.5 to 3k and then back off the throttle that's when the knock will be most noticeable. Put a video up and we will help you.

A bottom end knock is quite a noticible thing, from what I remember that's what the previous owner of your car stated was the problem and he was a clued up chap.

His original question was what was on the car and engine internals so a look down the bores won't help ? 
Personally I would not be starting the car if it is knocking to make a video if he has at least two offers of help of people who will know exactully what the problem is. 
Clued up few pictures of things on that car would say otherwise and surley he would of pointed out what was on or in the car or had some spec or reciepts for the new owner

37Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 10:47 pm

Bandyleg

Bandyleg
All receipts I have are for gaskets, heat wraps magnetic sump plug, a few other non engine related bits.

I'm not cheesed off I'm not annoyed I'm just wanting a full understanding of what I'm up against, as most of you know it's been a long ass wait for me for this motor so I am wanting to makes sure I cross all my t's and dot my I's before I jump in. I don't think I'm wrong for wanting to know..

So on that note I am greatfull for everyone's input Smile

38Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 10:49 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin
You can pick up an android camera off ebay for just over £3 that you could put down the bores Wink sure they have a light on the end too Smile
Nice and cheap and you will then see what pistons are in there Smile

39Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 10:54 pm

Bandyleg

Bandyleg
@Stu wrote:You can pick up an android camera off ebay for just over £3 that you could put down the bores Wink sure they have a light on the end too Smile
Nice and cheap and you will then see what pistons are in there Smile

Cheers Stu, I've seen those and not even thought about what you suggested...

I'll get one ordered over the next few days Smile

40Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 16th January 2016, 10:54 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161938073338&alt=web

41Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 17th January 2016, 5:15 am

splmum

splmum
Yep, that's all you need. I have one like that (probably exactly the same) and does the job nicely and the little magnet thingy is strong, enough to pick up an average size bolt.

42Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 17th January 2016, 8:46 am

wrc

wrc
I thought you wanted a bore scope to check for what's knocking sorry bud haha Razz

A bore scope will just let you check for any scoring on the bores mate, you won't be able to check for much else with it. The knocking I seriously doubt will be pistons as sr's just don't suffer with piston slap, if you want to identify them you will need to get the sump off and look past the crank as the id's are on the bottom of the pistons.

Get a video up, post it to the Facebook group if it's easier and we'll have a look there matey.

43Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 17th January 2016, 11:03 am

Bandyleg

Bandyleg
Spike is on his way up to have a look so fingers crossed I will have some answers in a couple of hours.. I best get my brew making skills brushed up on.

Ill let everyone know the outcome.

44Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 17th January 2016, 3:14 pm

Bandyleg

Bandyleg
The good man spike came around today and had a tinker with my car.. A few pipes were not in the correct place and are causing issues on tick over..

Pressure test of the head and from left to right as you look at it was 170,90,170,170, so this could be cause for concern. Its using water so taking into account the lack of pressure above could be as simple as a head gasket but I will have to have it apart to find out.

But overall not as bad as expected. Anyway I have popped up a couple of videos on youtube as I was right about I herd knocking but it doesn't appear to be bottom end.

Anyway have a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfwcIlQhk7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4eJerpAdoU

Oh and excuse the smoke id just spilt water whilstt topping it up.

45Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 17th January 2016, 4:58 pm

wrc

wrc
That's defiantly a knock mate. You need to find out where from. You have a knock issue and a low compression issue to deal with. If you are low on compression on cp's then it needs a looking at matey...

46Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 17th January 2016, 5:12 pm

mc_hawkings24

Sounds like bottom end knock bababoom. Time to rip it apart and spend many monnies

47Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 17th January 2016, 5:20 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin
^^^^ what he says Smile

48Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 17th January 2016, 6:18 pm

Bandyleg

Bandyleg
It wasnt un expected but now at least i know that the rough running was easy sorted and when it goes back together it should at least run cant fix it Smile

49Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 17th January 2016, 7:26 pm

wrc

wrc
It is a nissan remember... Sad

50Anyone recognise this car?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone recognise this car?? on 17th January 2016, 7:42 pm

Bandyleg

Bandyleg
@wrc wrote:It is a nissan remember... Sad

Hahahaha yeah that's very true, they built them to run on a 3rd of a cylinder but getting them to run on all 4 is the tricky bit Smile

Anyone know why it's seemingly this particular cylinder that is apparently the nutorious one....

As in I was.informed that this cylinder is usually the culprit when having certain issues?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum