Well it was and here's what happened.
SO my time at Torque of the South.
Spoke with Bob late on Thursday the 10th to confirm about coming down to continue mapping my R . now there was a issue with the dyno that was not yet fixed but he was hoping to have someone look at it in the morning, so if it was not fixed the we could maybe do a road tune to get her running better as it really was very poor to drive and was only good at crusing on at low load and low revs.
So it was agreed that I was to come to Bobs in the morning and we would see how things would pan out.
So the drive down was steady and uneventful. first on the list was to give Lee and Bob some booze for all the hard work hey put in last time . if you read back……………….
Now the dyno has been out of play for a few weeks and the aftersales service from what I am told is poor and that is being modest . Bob finally got the chap to sort the issue remotely and after a few quick tests on a car that was stuck on there all seemed good! ( faulty usb to dvi lead) anyway. This soon picked up the afternoon. it looks like we are going to be tuning the car tonight.!
So the checks on my car started . oil changed and all good. 10w/50 fully synthetic.
Plugs cleaned and gapped . home brew adjustable fuel pressure regulator ditched in favour of a stock number. We then removed the dizzy cap only to find that the centre electrod had been ground to a powder and the rotter arm had arced / and worn the insides of the cap to nothing. !
This would account for my miss fire problem. I felt like a right t**t for not picking this up ( credit to lee for finding it) oh well. then on with tightening the boost hoses down . compression looked ok and stable if not a little lower than ideal but everything was in the green.
So strapped her down and Bob began to look at the setting on the Power FC Pro . We noticed that the injector map had been royally messed around with and all Bobs past settings had been levelled off and the entire map was very green and very very rich. Now I can say it was not me as I have no idea how to do this and it was not Bob. Anyway I am not pointing the finger and we just had to get on with it but this meant the injector map needed redoing from scratch.!!!
So from 1300 to 2000 ish bob was in the hot seat tweaking the numbers and doing little runs. We had hit the clock and Bob had to go leaving me in a predicament . Option A untether the car and go home ( the mapp was not really usable) or option B stay over in a hotel. So you guessed which I went for. Much to the disapproval of the good lady. So bob ran me to a hotel in his GTR ! A very nice car with very smooth delivery .
Premier inn a good red and lots of Blackadder I was out .
Next day. Bob picks me up and over to the workshop . Lee greets us with a brew and has everything set so we can just jump in.
The hours pass by .
The fuel goes down the the bum gets numb the the questions are asked the maps are starting to form. The runs are starting to happen. ! The drama starts as the sun goes down and we are into the evening. Now I will have to point out that Bob is incredibly patient and was very very detailed with every area of this map.
So a few base runs and numerous tweaks at about 0.95 bar now he has the car close to how we want it so we can turn up the boost . Not that it's really key! At this level the power delivery is smooth, snappy and the response is amazing. It picked up boost well and held stable until the end. Which was set at 7200RPM
So figures : i cant rember the torque but it was 366bhp @ 1 bar and this was waste gate pressure. Now after messing with the gain we got the power to come in strong and a lot earlier So happy result. So more messing with the map and the time is now 16hr or so that have gone to the mapping alone . Next add some boost.
So the aim is for the max safe boost , we started to hit issues when we reached 1.5 bar so after a bit of thinking we changed the plugs and brought the gap down to 0.6mm as we think we had spark blow out. . this did fix the issue and we were back on. So time to turn up 1.55 1.6 and all is ok and stable . a few more tweeksa to the map.
1.65 and my heart is starting to go. Then a run to 1.75 and my god the stress horrible. a last run with a bit more gain added and Christ it hit boost so fast. 1.75 BAR and held the level all the way to the end. And our safe figure was 475 bhp and 394 lb/ft . now at this point I was more than happy and after bob spending 18 plus hours mapping this thing I was over the moon and happy to call it a day. we only blew one hose off over the day and that was when we spiked at 1.85bar. so we double clamped it!
So I am one very happy and proud R owner. The car is amazing. We did a dyno drive and it was so nice and smooth. Now bob said " as its your car Dan I won’t start to push it " but Bob was curious to see what we could get if we pushed on and I am also interested to see what we can get but this is plenty for now . I want a safe car that I can use to drive to Scotland and then race on a track if I choose. I want to retain some reliability so who knows what we could have pushed.
So after a thank you and good night I had the joy of driving her back to Leicester at 10PM and there was nothing on the motorway. When I hit the m1 and I knew I was nearing home I started to play with my own boost setting and finally settled for 1.3 bar and this was it .
It shifts! That s all I can say. I am yet to drive it at 1.75 and if the truth be know I need to build my confidence with that level of power. Here is a video towards the end
I can say I am very please with the outcome Bob you have truly excelled this time and I cant thank you enough for how you have transformed this car!
It runs like a dream !
Next jobs. Find some good street shocks as mine are shagged and also fit the new dash.