I've had three boxes fail on me and i'm running a massive balls
tingling 220bhp/220ftlbs, first box third gear destroyed with a wonky gear change, second box a main bearing failed making some gears touch that really shouldn't of, and latest fail was 3rd/4th selector fork
hopefully there's some good pictures in my list that will help people.
Something which is interesting and worth noting are the 'shifting springs' between 3rd/4th gear. All three of mine broke when 3rd/4th selector fork broke. Now I couldn't tell you exactly if they are part of the selector fork breaking problem or simply break as a result of the fork breaking... However I can tell you Nissan changed the design many years ago to reduce some slack/movement by introducing the wings, and they have been the hardest part ever to find stock... Probably because they fit nearly every 1990-1995 nissan gearbox known to man, and it's not just GTIRs that fail 3rd gear
DSC_2037 by edward guest, on Flickr
DSC_2046 by edward guest, on Flickr
in this picture the broken 3rd/4th ones are part number ending E01, brand new ones are E04 with extra 'springy wings' to reduce movement, E00 are my old 5th/rev in perfect condition.
DSC_0040 by edward guest, on Flickr
DSC_0044 by edward guest, on Flickr
I've got loads of new 1st/2nd and 5th/rev springy things but to be honest they seem perfect condition straight out of the old gearboxes.
3rd/4th springys are 'sold out' globally. You would not believe how many people I've been speaking to to get them. Part of the problem too is the new part number is listed as a 'baulk ring' as the description.
Many websites including amayama say they have some but when I placed my orders I got refunded within 24 hours. A million phone calls and emails later and...
Cut a long story short Nissan's main parts distribution centres/systems seem to work like this -
1) Japan, UK, Amsterdamn, United Arab Emirates can talk to each other.
2) Japan, USA and Canada can talk to each other.
3) Australia and NZ seem to be franchise garages/none existent, i'm not saying they can't get parts but they didn't seem to have 'main dealer' computers that knew where stock was... Does anyone know if Aus/NZ or any other countries have nissan distribution hubs/systems? I suspect russia do but their country, websites and language translations are bizzare...
Outside of japan the other countries can only get parts from those on their distribution list, e.g. Amsterdamn (1) can't get parts from canada (2). But if the parts are actually in Japan then 1 & 2 have direct access.
New part stock issues:
- Japan including discussions with amayama trading JAP/UAE = none in countries, back order with no date pending.
- UAE direct I found one piece, I bought the last one in the country, it cost £15 (how much!?!?) delivered to UK, now back
order with no date.
- UK I bought the last two pieces in the country, back order no date... (finally i have three!)
- Amsterdamn = none in country, none on back order.
- Canada = none in country, none on back order.
- USA = I've found 6 pieces spread across texas and california, and will get them in a few weeks time fingers crossed. My contact there said he's expecting a system stock update this week to tell me if there are anymore in the country. If there are then i'm having them all for us in the UK.
If anyone's ever tried ordering from amayama or any other online nissan parts dealer and had the response something like "... back order try again in 4 weeks time..." then maybe this is why, there seems to be a nissan system stock update once a month. I guess when you've got 1000's of parts dealers globally and some of them are still on old computer systems, and you've also got a manual human labour stock check aspect to it all, things just take a while to figure out...
more 3rd/4th pics:
DSC_0043 by edward guest, on Flickr
DSC_0042 by edward guest, on Flickr
i can see why the selector and baulk rings could be more stable in the shaft axis and horizontal rotation. That said though all three of my springys were broken...
Anyway, i'll write some more when I get chance but thought i'd mention 3rd/4th spring thing asap...