Some of you may have seen this build thread, but with sites closing down i thought i better move it to a few more locations, also i will be adding to it shortly as i have done a lot more work on this car over the last year.
Since about september 2009 i started doing my partners gti-r up which had been sitting infront of the house for three years.
First things first the engine was toast. Some clown shoe's had put valve grind into it with an oil change.. You can imagine the results.
So I was on the hunt for a new engine. After 3-4 months of looking i found one i thought was the business. 180psi of compression on all four cyliners. MINT!!
So out came the old engine.
And in with the new one.
Once we put the new engine in we poped the rocker cover off.
And to my shock the intake cam was completly rooted. Looks as though one of the top oil sqirters had blocked and starved the head of oil..
So out with the cams, rocker arms and shims..
I re-drilled the oil sqirters to a slightly larger diamater and blew all the rubbish out of them with a air compressor.
So i found some second hand cams in the garage with some rockers and put them back in. After some very painful Re-shimming the head was good to be started again.
As you can imagine after sitting in the weather for three years untouched just about everything was stuffed on this car.. So alot of stuff was just replaced. c.v joints and boots, shocks, a few bushes. was a nightmare.
To top things off once we tried to start it it would not go..
After some mucking around i decided to go see Barry at MSM motorsport in Penrose Auckland if theres something i cannot work out on a nissan I know Barry is the man to see. Top bloke recommend him to everyone.
After a swift wack around the head from him we descovered that the cam timing was out by 2 teeth..
So after re-doing that.. (you know what that means getting that dam cam chain tensioner out and back in..) the car sprang to life..
Followed by massive clouds of white smoke.. expected though the turbo had been sitting for 3 years. On inspection the oil seals had gone. So i decided to give DSR turbos ago..
Turned out to be a bad idea .
But everything was going and in the midst of it i had installed
my old PLMS daughter board into the ECU with 4 way map switcher
greddy profect B boost controller
Apexi air filter
Jun Light wieght flywheel
5 puk carbon kevlar clutch and uprated 2300ibs pressure plate
Front mount with custom piping
3inch exuast with 3inch custom downpipe
DSR 380 turbo
Polished top plenuim
HKS limited edition B.O.V
Plus a few more things iv probably forgotten about.
So it was off for the tune.
We later found that the DSR turbo had a manufactures fault and would not boost past 10psi..
But i was entered in the 4 & Rotorary Nationals 2010 so we tuned it the best we could and went racing... well driving 400m in a streight line.
The car with the old engine about to be removed above.
Engine all removed above.
Jun Light Weight Flywheel
Head Stripped and Cams out after damage found on new engine.
One of the damaged lobes from the intake cam
New cam in place
Car all back together and going!
Running at the 2010 4 and rotarys
So ended up doing 13.7 as the best time in the car with the rubbish turbo.
So i went and bought a Garrett Gt25/40.
On some real good inspection on the hoist i found that the shell was developing some good rust in the wheel arches. Along with the side of the car and also a old weld repair on the rear quater was starting to come through..
I though stuff this and purchased a new shell.
The Shell used to belong to a mate who poored over 60k into the car i think. I was lucky enough to get a ride in it before he sold it.
The car was stolen from the new owner and stripped.
But the shell was recovered.
I picked it up in the condition below
So the ground up rebuild begain. Two shells one set of running gear and a bucket of money...
So the swap over begins.
Ok the strip down.
8.50am i arrived at my MSM Automotive Limited with a running driving road legal Gti-r
By 5.30pm we had fully stripped it down to the bare shell.
Special note: DSR turbo thank F&*k this came off the car! worst turbo i have ever had!
The New Shell
So the rebuild of every component in the car starts..
First up was the gearbox and head.
Turns out i need 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear syncro's and 2nd gear hub.
New Bearings and syncros arrive. Also second gear hub. Nissan had just raised there Gti-r gearbox bits in price as well.
Sent the rear subframe off to be sandblasted and reconditioned. Is now fully rust coated appoxied and painted. Looks great! Also added some full aluminum rear subframe mounts!
So the head was popped off and we started to disassemble it.
So the head was stripped so i started to assemble some bits and peices for it.
272 degree Franklin Cams
Adjustable cam gears
New Valve steam seals
Manley uprated valve springs
Cometic head gasket
Bought some ARP head studs and fitted them into the block
Ok so things were happening
Rebuilt start motor
Rebuilt steering rack
Rebuilt power steering pump
New Water pump
Oil pump checked and cleaned
Valves cleaned and lapped into there seats
New uprated Valve springs fitted
New APR head studs fitted
New cams fitted
New tensioner fine tooth fitted
Whole under side completed bar the calipers
New rear Teflon braided lines for the rear fuel tank all cut and ready to go.
This stuff is about twice the price of braided line but for a reason its sooo much better.